Scams

Want to sell something? Have a request? Want to give something away? Advertise local services, etc. here.

Re: Scams

Postby desertrat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:35 am

surfsteve wrote:I see!. So big scams like the health care industry are beyond the scope of your thinking; or are you just so disturbed by them that you'd rather bury them somewhere like an Ostrich burring his head in the sand in time of danger in an attempt to avoid reality?

Scams are intentional attempts to deceive. The health care industry is a different beast entirely. Health insurance might be a rip off, but it's not really a scam. The politics that goes on behind the scenes might be corrupt, but it's not a scam. I think your conceptualization is the problem and it is you that needs to change the "scope of your thinking" or lack thereof. There are major problems with the health care industry as it exists in the USA, but attempting to categorize it as some kind of scam is an obvious square-peg-round-hole kind of mistake.
User avatar
desertrat
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 am
Location: BFE

Re: Scams

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:22 am

I disagree.
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Scams

Postby a2z » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm

desertrat wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I see!. So big scams like the health care industry are beyond the scope of your thinking; or are you just so disturbed by them that you'd rather bury them somewhere like an Ostrich burring his head in the sand in time of danger in an attempt to avoid reality?

Scams are intentional attempts to deceive. The health care industry is a different beast entirely. Health insurance might be a rip off, but it's not really a scam. The politics that goes on behind the scenes might be corrupt, but it's not a scam. I think your conceptualization is the problem and it is you that needs to change the "scope of your thinking" or lack thereof. There are major problems with the health care industry as it exists in the USA, but attempting to categorize it as some kind of scam is an obvious square-peg-round-hole kind of mistake.

There are medical scams, but they exist outside of the health care industry.
User avatar
a2z
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 pm
Location: NYOB

Re: Scams

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 am

So if one doctor were charging twenty dollars or more for an aspirin it's a scam but when all of them do it together it's-; what are we supposed to call it then?
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Scams

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

surfsteve wrote:I see!. So big scams like the health care industry are beyond the scope of your thinking; or are you just so disturbed by them that you'd rather bury them somewhere like an Ostrich burring his head in the sand in time of danger in an attempt to avoid reality?

So if one doctor were charging twenty dollars or more for an aspirin it's a scam but when all of them do it together it's-; what are we supposed to call it then?

Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.
User avatar
MojaveMike
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: Scams

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

MojaveMike wrote:Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.


By deception you mean like, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

At least we agree on something!
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Scams

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 am

surfsteve wrote:
MojaveMike wrote:Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.


By deception you mean like, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

At least we agree on something!

When "If you like your plan you can keep it" was promised I believe it was the intent of those making the promise to keep their promise. However, other members of the government conspired to make it impossible to keep that promise. So, I'd say that's an example of POLITICS and not an actual SCAM.
User avatar
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: middle of nowhere

Re: Scams

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:29 am

You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Scams

Postby twister » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 am

surfsteve wrote:

It's only a lie if you have NO INTENTION of keeping your promise when you make your promise. If circumstances arise which make it impossible to keep your promise, then that's an entirely different thing.
User avatar
twister
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: John 3:8

Re: Scams

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:27 pm

twister wrote:It's only a lie if you have NO INTENTION of keeping your promise when you make your promise. If circumstances arise which make it impossible to keep your promise, then that's an entirely different thing.


Agreed. And?
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

PreviousNext

Return to Want Ads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron