Atheists Unite!

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Atheists Unite!

Postby twister » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 am

Most people I know don't go to church and they don't care about religion much at all. Those that I know who do go to church mostly do it for the social aspect. It's not all that easy to meet people who aren't total losers otherwise.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby camel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:23 pm

Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:34 am

How Do Pastafarians Celebrate Easter?
Many atheists are closet Pastafarians. Everyone has to have something to believe in!
Pastover is a religious holiday analogous to the Jewish holiday of Passover, as well as the Christian holiday of Easter. During this time, Pastafarians across the globe are encouraged to eat copious amounts of pasta, usually spaghetti, which is cooked "in His image" by family members dressed as Pirates. Pastover celebrates the time when the Flying Spaghetti Monster first began touching people with His Noodly Appendage.

Thumbnail Image
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

The Flying Spaghetti Monster recently appeared to me in the form of some witch's hair growing on a bush in the desert. I admit that I was a little high at the time, but experientially speaking it was the most spiritual experience I've ever experienced. Words cannot convey....
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby JanuaryJones » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:48 am

Americans believe in aliens as much as they believe in God now
Some people seem to have a need believe in a higher power. Not sure what exactly would be the beliefs associated with this UFO religion, but maybe that's the point. People can just make up whatever it is they want to believe in and then say that it's endorsed by the aliens!
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:15 am

Sounds like you might be interested in Urantia. They are not atheists but believe Earth was seeded by aliens and have a book similar to the bible that is written in modern day language.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:04 pm

What I Love About the Urantia Book
It's just standard Christianity with a twist. :smack:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:08 am

mrgreen: That's all Mormonism is. It's just vanilla Christianity with a few toppings thrown on. It would have been more interesting if Urantia had nothing to do with Christianity, but instead it's just another variation on the same ole same ole.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:11 am

Yep. Pretty much all religions are the same. You could read parts out of the Koran and swear they came from the bible. What's up with that anyway? It's like they want to make us believe we have 1000 choices but basically every choice is the same and everybody is fighting over which choice of the same ole same ole...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:29 am

panamint_patty wrote:mrgreen: That's all Mormonism is. It's just vanilla Christianity with a few toppings thrown on. It would have been more interesting if Urantia had nothing to do with Christianity, but instead it's just another variation on the same ole same ole.

The thing that Mormonism and Urantia have in common with Christianity is that they all make Cheesus a central part of their religion. There's the resurrection, atonement for sins, gods only begotten son, etc. But then surfsteve makes this statement:
surfsteve wrote:Yep. Pretty much all religions are the same. You could read parts out of the Koran and swear they came from the bible. What's up with that anyway? It's like they want to make us believe we have 1000 choices but basically every choice is the same and everybody is fighting over which choice of the same ole same ole...

That's a pretty big leap of "faith" so to speak. Going from a statement about core similarities of two neo-Christian religions to such a broad over-generalization seems a bit much.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues