Hate Speech?

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Hate Speech?

Postby cactuspete » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:24 am

Alex Jones vs Bill O'Reilly - Who Can Scream & Freak Out Harder? :curse:
There's been a lot of news about hate speech lately. In case you haven't heard Facebook is talking about banning hate speech. The problem is that most people seem to think that hate speech is anything that they don't agree with. Feminists have a bunch of words that they'd like banned, but in reality what they are trying to do is make it harder to express views that they disagree with. The same goes for every other special interest group out there. The way things are going pretty soon no one will be allowed to express any idea that might in some way offend some retarded jellyfish floating around out there in the vast ocean of stupidity.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Hate Speech?

Postby desertrat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:13 am

Facebook Pledges to Combat Gender-Based Hate Speech
More censorship cheered on by the usual bunch of Feminazis and other totalitarian/authoritarian types. No wonder Facebook is rapidly going the way of MySpace! BTW, is this lady annoying or what?
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 am

desertrat wrote:Facebook Pledges to Combat Gender-Based Hate Speech
More censorship cheered on by the usual bunch of Feminazis and other totalitarian/authoritarian types. No wonder Facebook is rapidly going the way of MySpace! BTW, is this lady annoying or what?

Annoying? Hellz yeah!!! I think she needs to be B*tch-Slapped! Big time!!!
Opps! I hope that doesn't count as hate speech!!!
:laugh:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 am

Viral Hate on the Internet
What a bunch of malarkey! This guy claims that hate speech is at "epidemic" levels. Not even close. Hate speech is a very small and insignificant problem at worst. Even back in 2008 when hate speech was at its peak it wasn't much more than a minor annoyance. This guy goes on to blame anonymity in part for the imaginary problem that his book is about. He fails to mention that anonymity allows people to express ideas that they otherwise would not be able to for fear of reprisals by the powers that be (bosses, co-workers, religious leaders, etc.) and that the value of anonymity is far greater than any insignificant problem caused by anonymity. In the end this guy is just trying to sell his crappy book and he should probably just STFU!
:curse:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am

Mariachi Kid Gets Hit With Racial Tweets
Gratuitous insults are not cool whether they involve racial slurs or not. As strange as it may seem, I bet some of the comments were just meant to be funny and not intended to be hateful or mean. One way or the other, this kid has a good attitude. Of the over 4000 comments left to this video, a few dozen contain the term wetback.
LINK: https://twitter.com/selcharrodeoro
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:17 am

"Retarded" Racist Zimmerman Trial Witness!!
No doubt about it! This star witness does appear to be a "special needs" person. It is kind of ironic that she (of all the people in the courtroom) should happen to use the R-Word!!!
:laugh:
For more on the R-Word check out this thread from the old forum:
The R-Word Is Totally Gay
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 am

Musician: Hip Hop use of the N-word is shameful
Either it's okay to use the N-word or it isn't. When people defend double-standards, that's when the hypocrisy has got so out of hand that it becomes impossible to have a serious conversation. As far as I'm concerned the N-word is just another offensive word like the F-word or the C-word or the B-word. To pretend that it's more offensive than other words is to buy into some kind of politically correct dogma and politically correct dogma is a bigger problem than a stupid word!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:00 pm

tronagirl wrote:Musician: Hip Hop use of the N-word is shameful
Either it's okay to use the N-word or it isn't. When people defend double-standards, that's when the hypocrisy has got so out of hand that it becomes impossible to have a serious conversation. As far as I'm concerned the N-word is just another offensive word like the F-word or the C-word or the B-word. To pretend that it's more offensive than other words is to buy into some kind of politically correct dogma and politically correct dogma is a bigger problem than a stupid word!

I 'm not offended by any of those words. ........ I like to use them at the camp fire or where ever. This will all change when I become the kind of person that finds value of being offended. If the words was are said to offend they are still just words. I find the intention to be offensive, offensive; not the words words used. :poop: :eek: Hypersensitivity .sorry I just get sensitive about this subject............ :upset:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 am

James Sel wrote:
tronagirl wrote:Musician: Hip Hop use of the N-word is shameful

I 'm not offended by any of those words. ........ I like to use them at the camp fire or where ever. This will all change when I become the kind of person that finds value of being offended. If the words was are said to offend they are still just words. I find the intention to be offensive, offensive; not the words words used. :poop: :eek: Hypersensitivity .sorry I just get sensitive about this subject............ :upset:

Yeah, hypersensitivity is the real problem. A word is just a word and pretending that it's the end of the world just becaseu someone used the n-word is just plain dumb! All this controversy about some lady cook show hostess who used the n-word is dumb too. All her sponsors are freaking out because of all the idiots who are acting all offended. What a bunch of whiners! Just ignore it and forget about it. There has to be bigger issues than whether or not someone used the n-word. And just because someone used the n-word doesn't make them a racist. Reaching that conclusion is even dumber than objecting to the word in the first place!
:roll2:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 am

Social networks vs "trolls"
When a kid commits suicide after reading something on FaceBook or Twitter, I don't hold FaceBook or Twitter accountable. That would be like blaming the phone company for something someone said while talking to someone on the phone. Should FaceBook or Twitter censor what people say? Maybe extreme hate speech (death and rape threats) and maybe slanderous messages left on publicly viewable pages, but other than that no. Just hold people accountable for making threats or slandering people. The evidence is there. Just use it to prosecute if necessary.
:shrug:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to News and Issues