Sochi Winter Olympic Games

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Sochi Winter Olympic Games

Postby desertrat » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:46 am

Ovechkin blasts media coverage of Sochi Olympics
This short news clip sums up the situation pretty darn well. Normally the news stories leading up to the Olympic Games are all positive with maybe one or two here and there regarding security and other concerns. This time around it's the exact opposite. The overwhelming negativity is over-the-top. It's like a negative propaganda blitz against Russia instead of news. What gives?
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Sochi Winter Olympic Games

Postby pcslim » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:05 am

desertrat wrote:Ovechkin blasts media coverage of Sochi Olympics
This short news clip sums up the situation pretty darn well. Normally the news stories leading up to the Olympic Games are all positive with maybe one or two here and there regarding security and other concerns. This time around it's the exact opposite. The overwhelming negativity is over-the-top. It's like a negative propaganda blitz against Russia instead of news. What gives?

It would be inconceivable and impossible for me to agree more! The news coverage leading up to the Olympics has been disgusting at the very least and downright deceptive in many cases. Your characterization of it as a negative propaganda campaign is extremely accurate, unfortunately. I wish I could disagree, but it's been so blatant that only an idiot would have failed to notice the endless barrage of negativity. I'm not sure if the news media in the USA was ever reliable or if Americans in the past were just too naive to realize that they were being lied to, but the cat's out of the bag now and the coverage of Sochi has emphasized this to the point of absurdity!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:55 am

How Olympians Have Changed (1924-2014) :pac:
This video is quick, fun, and informative. It earns ten points on a ten point scale. It's also nice to have a video about the Olympics that doesn't dwell on political differences for a change!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:32 am

Should Olympic Medal Winners Be Forced To Pay Taxes Like Other People? :curse:
Tax exemption for athletes? That's just plain stupid! Of course, they should pay taxes just like everybody else! Sounds like a bunch of politicians trying to get publicity to me. Idiots like that should be kicked out of office. They should not be wasting time on a bill like this that does nothing to help society in general, especially since the only reason they're doing it is to increase their name recognition!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Sochi Sour Grapes: Western MSM wins gold medal for buzz killing
There have been so many cheap shots aimed at Russian during the last few months that I'm convinced that our news media is completely incapable from separating fact from sentiment. I really don't care about the opinions of news journalists or their bosses. Just give me the facts!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 am

Slopestyle medalist: I march to my own tune
This guy knows how to handle pressure I'd say. A totally unconventional athlete winning gold in a snowboarding event. Totally gnarly dude!
:thumb:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:46 am

Olympic Medal Count 2014: Americans Take Gold in Slopestyle
Norway has collected the most medals so far with the USA in second place followed by the Netherlands in third place and Canada and Russia tied in fourth. I love the skiing and snowboarding events, but I'm planning on watching all the hockey I can!
:talk:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:19 am

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the government of the USA is actively aiding and providing resources to terrorists in Russia so that the terrorists will disrupt the heck out of Russia during the Winter Olympic Games. Within two days of the initial attack the USA will then launch an attack into Syria. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but the scoundrels running our country do far worse things on a routine basis and they always seem to get away with it. Sure most of the public realizes that the invasion of Iraq was initiated after a vigorous misinformation campaign to gain public support, but our leaders don't really care about what the people think after the fact. Once the dirty deed is done, they've gotten away with it and they know they won't be held accountable! Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but...
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am

desertrat: I hope you're wrong too, but what you describe is exactly the kind of stunt Bush/Cheney would have tried back when they were occupying the Whitehouse. Hopefully Obama is smart enough not to try something that stupid!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:50 am

Anti-Sochi Behavior: 'Cold War' media bears roaring at Russia
The narrative is written before they even start looking for evidence and the only evidence they care about is that which supports their narrative. Anything that doesn't support a negative portrayal of Russia is ignored and only the obscure items that can be fit into the negative narrative are shared with the public here in the USA. Hmmm... that sounds more like propaganda than news...
:smack:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues