Race Relations

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Race Relations

Postby cactuspete » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 pm

How not to get shot in the head by the police
The police aren't the problem. The problem is that some people seem to think that it's alright to break the law, behave in a belligerent manner towards the police, and then to blame "white privilege" for all your problems.
:smack:
The essence of "white privilege" is being educated, being polite, and acting civilized. 

cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Mississippi Burning
This RamZPaul tells it like it is!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:37 am

mrfish: RamZPaul makes a lot of assertions, but he doesn't provide any statistical evidence to support them. His hypothesis is quite plausible, but without proof it's only conjecture. What we need is to compare what percent of the white population is murdered by blacks each year with the percent of the black population that is murdered each year. Those numbers would provide empirical proof to either support or disprove his assertions. Actually, come to think of it, that is the statistical comparison that the news media should provide us with each time news of racial violence is presented. I wonder why they don't do that? Okay, so, RamZPaul probably does make a pretty strong argument...
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrgreen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:36 pm

The Bullshitiest Bullshit Ever Shat From a Bullshitter's Mouth
This might be one of the best comments I've ever seen left in response to a video on YouTube!
:bow:
Eric Garner had 30 arrests in 34 years. Crimes ranging from drug possession to assault, grand larceny, and he was currently out on BOND for being arrested just weeks before for selling cigarettes illegally. Now I'll agree that selling cigarettes was the worst crime that could justify using so much force to take him down which ultimately ended his life unjustly, but saying "Everybody could be Eric Garner" is just the most bullshitiest bullshit that was ever shat from a bullshitters mouth.

mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:30 am

Eric Gardener and Michael Brown are two completely different situations. Michael Brown was a thug and deserved what he got. If anybody but the police choked Gardener they would have been up on charges for murder and almost certainly convicted. It's a good bet that his family is going to become very wealthy after a civil suit has gone through, at the taxpayers expense.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:02 am

surfsteve: I agree that the Gardner case is somewhat different from the Brown case, but I don't think they're all that different. While I doubt the Brown family will receive a penny as the result of the death of their son, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance that Gardner's family may receive some form of compensation. As for the assertions made in MrGreen's post, I agree completely. The slogan "Everybody could be Eric Garne" is completely wrong. In order for it to be true EVERYBODY would have to have a long list of criminal convictions, EVERYBODY would have to be belligerent and uncooperative when confronted by the police,EVERYBODY would then have to resist arrest, and EVERYBODY would have to weigh 300 pounds. Arresting a large man who is resisting arrest requires the use of physical force and the outcome in a situation like that is not likely to be pleasant. I understand that Gardner had asthma and the officers don't have time to check medical records in these situations. So, if I were on a jury, it would be difficult to persuade me that Gardner's family deserves even a penny in compensation.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:58 am

Yeah right! Just don't come running to me when Obamacare takes away your life saving medicine and you find yourself in an illegal chokehold for trying to buy it on the black market! Whatever you do. Don't cry out that you can't breath. You'd stand a better chance crying out the words "Go ahead. Kill me!" than begging for mercy to a sadist. They are more likely to do the opposite than not if they truly believe you really want them to because they are no longer in control.

Honestly. I don't see this one as a racial situation. Seems like most of the protesters are "privileged" college kids! :prof:
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Crowdfunding Darren Wilson’s future
Quote from this clip: " The amount of money raised by supporters of Darrin Wilson dwarfs the amount of money raised by supporters of the family of Michael Brown." That's exactly as it should be. Wilson did what he had to do to get out of a tough situation alive. He should have all the support in the world.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 am

According to this article Gardener was singled out to be harassed because he had filed charges against police for stealing his money. It also alleges that they had previously sexually assaulting him in public during strip searches and that there was good reason for him to peacefully resist being arrested.

“I wouldn’t really say [he was killed] because Eric was a black man. It’s due to the fact that they stole money from [Eric] and refused to give him his money, and he filed charges against them.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/bombsh ... move-nypd/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:45 am

Obama's bloody hands - two cops killed
Obama should have supported the grand jury decision rather than indirectly showing lack of confidence in the outcome. Like RamZPaul says, now police can't do their job. If they shoot someone in self-defense they're thrown under the bus and if they don't, then... well... they get killed. Great job Obama!!!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues