Prison-Industrial Complex

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Prison-Industrial Complex

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Sons of Anarchy? Guards Let Inmates Run Prison
Clear and to the point explanation of how the prison-industrial complex works. The term prison-industrial complex is not used in this clip, but the concept is clearly illustrated.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Prison-Industrial Complex

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Corrections Corporation of America, the nation's largest operator of for-profit prisons, has sent letters recently to 48 states offering to buy up their prisons as a remedy for "challenging corrections budgets." In exchange, the company is asking for a 20-year management contract, plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Prison Industrial Complex (Excerpt from The Boondocks)
Skip the 30 second intro and get to the actual video!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am

Final Meals of Innocent Executed Inmates
I'd absolutely be in favor of the death penalty for prosecutors who succeed in falsely convicting an innocent person who is sent to death row and executed!
:curse:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 am

For-Profit Prison Gets Name on Football Stadium
The more people falsely convicted, the happier they are! The more unnecessary laws that can be create as excuses to imprison people, the happier they are. They want to make money anyway they can and if it means putting you in prison, then that's just fine with them!
:down:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 am

For-Profit Prisons Admit Lying to Get Taxpayer Money
Corporations making money by throwing people in prison and politicians quite happy to facilitate this business model. Is there something wrong here or what?
:mad2:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 am

Privatizing prisons is a terrible idea. Look what happened when they privatized government and the Federal Reserve. We already have privatized the death penalty by having private armies such as Blackwater. Great video. Especially considering the source!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am

surfsteve wrote:Privatizing prisons is a terrible idea. Look what happened when they privatized government and the Federal Reserve. We already have privatized the death penalty by having private armies such as Blackwater. Great video. Especially considering the source!

I posted two videos by the Young Turks today and one (this one) was brilliant and the other one (about "rape culture") was one of the most insipidly stupid discussions I've ever heard. Complete disconnect!!!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 am

Good for you.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 am

mrfish wrote:
surfsteve wrote:Privatizing prisons is a terrible idea. Look what happened when they privatized government and the Federal Reserve. We already have privatized the death penalty by having private armies such as Blackwater. Great video. Especially considering the source!

I posted two videos by the Young Turks today and one (this one) was brilliant and the other one (about "rape culture") was one of the most insipidly stupid discussions I've ever heard. Complete disconnect!!!

I've only been watching the Young Turks for a few months and I find that they push stories about sex a little too much and that they talk total gibberish fairly often, but then there are news stories like this one that actually make sense. They are a step above Fox in terms of quality, but they still fall well short of what I expect from a news organization. On the topic of privatizing prisons they are absolutely correct. It's bad enough that corporations have too much influence on the government and as a result have indirect control over law enforcement and various other aspects of infrastructure, but to give them direct control of law enforcement is dangerous! That's how fascists/authoritarian systems develop. The people must have a voice and they must have a power base. That's where strong unions play a role. Without a strong labor movement corporations call all the shots and it's only a few steps down the road from there to fascist authoritarianism.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to News and Issues