Verbal Camouflage

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Verbal Camouflage

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:36 am

Verbal Camouflage: How US newspeak softens hard truths
Great discussion of techniques used to hide the truth without actually lying by simply selecting words that sort of smooth over a problem and make it seem not quite so bad.
:mad2:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Verbal Camouflage

Postby shadylady » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 am

'Hey Girls Did You Know' 'Shaming' Photos Are Latest Bullying Trend on Social Media Sites
This is a pretty good example of the way that the term "bullying" has become expanded to include all sorts of behaviors that aren't actually bullying. The so-called experts seem to benefit from the expansion of these terms and the media just eats it up, but both the experts and the media are contributing to a situation that results in a lot of misperceptions and misunderstandings. Someone needs to stand up and just say ENOUGH ALREADY WE'RE NOT BUYING YOUR BS ANYMORE!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Although I can't think of a good example off the top of my head, I think that sometimes words and terms are invented to make common and normal behavior seem sinister and abnormal. It seems like a lot of innocent behavior has become criminalized over the years and I'm thinking that part of the process of preparing the public to accept these new categories of crime is first changing the language used to describe behavior so that something negative is implied. I think feminists have used this technique quite a bit in particular. Like I said, no specific examples come to mind, but I know I've encountered this kind of thing many times.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

George Carlin - Pissing off the Feminists
Speaking of George Carlin and feminism, some of you sick evil bastards out there might get a grin or a giggle or maybe even something else out of this video clip!
:bounce:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 am

Why is the 'C-word' So Offensive?
Lots of single syllable vulgarity in this discussion! :poop:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am

The Terrible C-Word
This ought to put things into their proper perspective!!! :talk:
GO HERE --> http://theoatmeal.com/comics/c_word
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 am

No More Saying "Illegal Immigrant" Says Associated Press
Illegal Immigrant seems both reasonable and accurate to me. It sums up the situation and reflects reality quite well, imho. There were some pretty interesting comments left to this video, btw.
Bullshit! They are illegal immigrants. They immigrated illegaly. What gets on my nerves is this brainwashing political correctness. At the current pace we won't speak to each other in fear that someone will get offended. Let's call things what they are. It does not matter which words we use, because THEY STILL MEAN the same thing.

cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 am

Rape Culture - Do Kids Trivialize the Word "Rape" in Gaming?
Here's a video where the young turks do a horrible job discussing a topic. They play the role of progressive PC police trying to tell us what words are okay to use and how we should use words in this video and when people do that it gets really annoying really fast. I will say rape, cunt, retard, and anything else anytime I want and these halfwitted idiots should just STFU with their pre-school level analysis of language use! BTW, usually the young turks get way more thumbs up than thumbs down on most of their videos, but this one is the other way around. So, even their own audience is calling them out on this one!
:soap:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 am

cactuspete wrote:No More Saying "Illegal Immigrant" Says Associated Press
Illegal Immigrant seems both reasonable and accurate to me. It sums up the situation and reflects reality quite well, imho. There were some pretty interesting comments left to this video, btw.
Bullshit! They are illegal immigrants. They immigrated illegaly. What gets on my nerves is this brainwashing political correctness. At the current pace we won't speak to each other in fear that someone will get offended. Let's call things what they are. It does not matter which words we use, because THEY STILL MEAN the same thing.

You can still be born in the USA from USA parents without documentation and not be an illegal immigrant. Undocumented is not an accurate term for describing illegal immigrants. Many migrants were documented in the countries they were born in
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:19 pm

mrfish wrote:Rape Culture - Do Kids Trivialize the Word "Rape" in Gaming?
Here's a video where the young turks do a horrible job discussing a topic. They play the role of progressive PC police trying to tell us what words are okay to use and how we should use words in this video and when people do that it gets really annoying really fast. I will say rape, cunt, retard, and anything else anytime I want and these halfwitted idiots should just STFU with their pre-school level analysis of language use! BTW, usually the young turks get way more thumbs up than thumbs down on most of their videos, but this one is the other way around. So, even their own audience is calling them out on this one!
:soap:

What is this RAPE CULTURE bullshit? Considering the huge number of guys who have been falsely convicted (proven innocent by DNA analysis of evidence), it would seem that we live in an anti-rape culture where every guy is at constant risk of being falsely accused of rape! I'd be willing to bet that at least 20% of guys in prison for rape are completely innocent and were falsely convicted. This RAPE CULTURE bullshit is actually pretty dangerous since it actually increases the chances of a guy getting falsely convicted of something he didn't do. There isn't always DNA evidence available to exonerate the innocent!
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to News and Issues