Going Postal

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Going Postal

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am

Murder By Proxy: How America Went Postal. Documentary film trailer
It's not the guns. It's not the video games. It's not the violent movies. It's not a result of bad childhood experiences. It's none of the above.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Going Postal

Postby mrfish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal FULL
Although the video focuses on workplace violence, I think most of the points made apply to other situations. People who feel that they have repeatedly been treated unfairly over a period of years can reach a point that they feel there is nothing else left to do.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Nice work MrFish!!! :talk:
I was going to rent the DVD (that is if I could find it). I guess I should have just looked a little bit on YouTube! Many thanks! And the video is better than the trailer. Excellent documentary!
:thumb:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm

I just finished watching this incredibly powerful documentary. It's far more pertinent to the issue of mass murders than anything I've seen the two-bit pundits on television news shows talk about!
MojaveMike wrote:Murder By Proxy: How America Went Postal. Documentary film trailer
It's not the guns. It's not the video games. It's not the violent movies. It's not a result of bad childhood experiences. It's none of the above.

That's absolutely right. It's not guns or video games or violent movies. It's not even "psychotropic" drugs or any kind of pharmaceutical at all.
mrfish wrote:Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal FULL
Although the video focuses on workplace violence, I think most of the points made apply to other situations. People who feel that they have repeatedly been treated unfairly over a period of years can reach a point that they feel there is nothing else left to do.

The real issue is the way our society is structured. It's not just in the workplace. It's in our schools and churches and it's every where we go. We as a nation are more worried about someone getting away with something or getting something for free than we are about someone being blamed for something they didn't do or being cheated out of something that they have coming to them. The high-pressure, law and order mentality drives people to do this kind of thing. We've set the stage for this kind of thing and none of the bandaid approaches (gun control, video game and movie ratings, etc.) will do anything at all to solve this problem!
:smack:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 am

Good points Shady!!! I have a number of friends who are retired teachers (and I also know a few who are still working) and an observation that has been made about the No Child Left Behind legislation is that it creates a pressure cooker environment at schools which is highly likely to produce these types of incidents. The politicians who put together the NCLB legislation almost seem to have secretly or sub-consciously been plotting to create the conditions that would spawn a mass shooting in a public school environment. It's more likely that they just didn't think very carefully about what they were doing, but in any case NCLB has had a number of negative effects on education and children in general.
:mad2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 am

Joe Stack 2010 Austin Suicide Attack
This one could have been a mass murder situation, but only the perpetrator and one victim were killed. However, it seems that the idea was to kill a whole bunch more. The incident wound up costing the IRS $38.6 million and so Stack did do considerable damage. I've always felt that Stack was driven to this by the insane bureaucracies which exist in this country. I won't go as far as to say that his actions were justified, but I'm just saying that it's understandable that someone might do something like this when pushed to the extent that he was pushed.
The 2010 Austin suicide attack occurred on 18 February 2010, when Andrew Joseph Stack III, flying his Piper Dakota, crashed into Building of the Echelon office complex in Austin, Texas, United States, killing himself and Internal Revenue Service manager Vernon Hunter. Thirteen others were injured, two seriously. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) field office was located in a four-story office building along with a couple of private businesses on the first floor. Prior to the crash, Stack had posted a suicide note dated 18 February 2010 to his business website.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Austin_suicide_attack
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 am

Town Burning Video Games in Response to Sandy Hook
Exactly the wrong approach to take. Restricting freedoms increases the likelihood that someone will explode into a murderous monster! However, the commentator contradicts herself near the end and scapegoats guns. So although she gets it when it comes to games, she misses the boat when it comes to guns.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildbill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Police officers under attack by fmr. cop
Not everyone is willing to just move on after being wronged. Although I would never attempt to justify the actions of someone like this Dorner guy, I think that employers should be more conscientious when it comes to treating employees in a fair manner. You can't expect people to just accept being wrongfully terminated. Some people are going to hold those who wronged them accountable. It's predictable and I blame the people who fired this guy for this entire problem!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cactuspete » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am

Will the LAPD Shoot Cop Revenge Killer?
Shoot first, ask questions later? That's just plain crazy! Just because someone reminds the cops of this guy doesn't give them the right to just start shooting! Hopefully those who were shot at will sue the heck out of the police force. There is no excuse for shooting at someone who sort of looks like they might possibly be a suspect!
:curse:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:37 am

Warrior or Threat? Cop-killer on the run declares war on LAPD
A lot of people actually admire and support the actions of Dorner. As I find out more about him I have to say I respect him to some extent, but can't condone killing people. He was screwed pretty bad and people can only be pushed so far before they strike back. Some people more than others, but everyone has a point where they will take no more and some people have the will and ability to do some damage.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues