Perceptions of Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Perceptions of Trona

Postby tronagirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:43 am

RE Desert Town: I had to turn off the sound to make it through this video! The song isn't very good at all! I've never actually seen the town from the air and so that aspect of the video was tolerable, but you really need to learn how to write better songs! Not that I could do any better, but at least I have sense enough not to post crappy songs on the internet.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 am

tronagirl wrote:RE Desert Town: I had to turn off the sound to make it through this video! The song isn't very good at all! I've never actually seen the town from the air and so that aspect of the video was tolerable, but you really need to learn how to write better songs! Not that I could do any better, but at least I have sense enough not to post crappy songs on the internet.

I didn't exactly love the song, but it wasn't any worse than half the crap you hear on the radio and so I'll give it a three out of five. If no one had the guts to share their songs with the world then most likely a lot of really good songs would never be heard and the world would be all the worse as a result. For every dozen songs people share usually only one is really good and that rule applies to pretty much ever person who makes up songs (famous or not) so don't discourage people from being creative! And another rule that you can count on is that every song that you think is really good is a song that is loathed by millions of people all around the world. There's no accounting for taste!
:nopity:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 am

CoolChick and tronagirl: I wouldn't give the song high marks either, but it's not the worst song I've ever heard by a long shot! As for views of Trona from the air, I have to say the if it weren't for the chemical plant that the town would look a heck of a lot better, but if it weren't for the the chemical plant, the town wouldn't be here in the first place and so you just gotta face facts and take the good with the bad!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:13 am

What makes Trona great is all the beautiful desert surrounding it. If you focus on the chemical plant and the sections of town where the houses don't look so good, then it doesn't look like much, but look in any other direction and all you see is beautiful desert scenery. Also if you stop by any of the local businesses you will find that the people are quite friendly. It's a great place and if you look at Searles Valley as a whole, then you will see that only a tiny amount of it qualifies as what might be called an eyesore!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:41 am

Teenager From Trona :sun:
This video offers a mostly positive view of Trona. The emphasis on football and religion is embarrassingly negative, but I suppose if that's the way the young man sees the town then that aspect reflects more on him than on the town. The video is nicely done with great video quality, nice background music, and compelling narration. The only thing I object to is that there is so much more to Trona than football and religion and I hope the video doesn't give people the false impression that Trona is nothing more than a little bit of Texas out in the California desert, because that's just not the case!

EDIT: The video was taken down on YouTube, but it's available at Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/81967040
Last edited by wildrose on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:43 am

re Teenager From Trona: It was a bit sleazy of the coach to recite that prayer. School should be free of religion and regardless of anything else the coach has a responsibility not to infuse religion into a school-sponsored event. As for all the football, I see what you're saying, but it's one of the most exciting things for a kid to do in this town. Unless he's into computers or plays a musical instrument or is really into hiking, there's not a lot for a kid to do other than to participate in school activities or socialize with friends.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:46 am

RE: TEENAGER FROM TRONA:
I like the video, but I see where the football and religion might be a bit much for some people. But for me the video is more about the kid than about the town. I think a place like Trona is a good place for a kid to grow up and that's the main thing I get out of the video.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:14 am

If you turn off the sound to the Teenager From Trona video and skip the football stuff, what you have left are some pretty good images of the town. Of course, at that point the video is about maybe a minute long, but it would be a vastly improved video without a doubt!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Teenager From Trona

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:40 am

I like the video just the way it is. It's more about the kid than about the town, but it also shows how kids can benefit from living in a small town. There's a lot of crap that goes on in cities. Even a place like Bakersfield that's supposed to be a hick town has a lot of gang problems and other distractions that can lead a kid to get involved in lots of bad stuff.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:10 pm

This is interesting...
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News