Overnight Accomodations

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Overnight Accomodations

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:26 am

Anyone have a suggestion for the best place to stay the night? My wife doesn't want to camp out and so we need a nearby hotel. From what I can figure out from internet searches, Pahrump and Beatty are the logical places to stay. We've already ruled out staying inside the park since those facilities are a bit pricey. It doesn't look like Trona has much to offer and Lone Pine and Ridgecrest seem like they're too far from the valley to be good choices. We're planning on staying three nights in October and we want to see the sites mainly in Death Valley proper, but we also plan on driving up to Eureka Dunes one day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Re: Overnight Accomodations

Postby James Sel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 am

Beatty and Pahrump are it then. Since she has a problem with camping she should pay for the room out of her budget. Camping at Panamint Springs Resort is only $7.50 a night.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:51 am

If you're going to be visiting sites in the northern part of the park (Eureka Dunes, Scotty's Castle, Titus Canyon, etc.), then stay in Beatty. If you're going to be hitting sites south of Furnace Creek, then Pahrump is probably the better choice. Just map out your itinerary and pick the town closest to the places you plan on visiting. Be forewarned that the road to Eureka Dunes is dirt. It's graded and so four wheel drive isn't necessary, but it might be a little rough for an ordinary passenger car.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:07 am

If you're visiting the area during October, motel prices should be lower. It might not be a bad idea to stay at different locations on different nights. The night after visiting Eureka Dunes you might consider Lone Pine, Independence, or Big Pine. That way you can continue west from the dunes and see more of the area. Check on road conditions before heading out on any dirt roads. Sometimes late in the summer there are some pretty heavy rains and roads can get washed out. Last year a section of the road between Scotty's Castle and Eureka Dunes was washed out and wasn't repaired for several weeks. Check with the rangers at Furnace Creek before heading out to remote spots in the park. Have a great trip!
:thumb:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks for the help and suggestions. We're driving a Subaru with all-wheel-drive and we're wondering if it would be possible to make it out to the Racetrack. The Subaru does well on graded gravel roads, but if the going gets too rough I'm not sure I'd feel very confident. Any thoughts on making it to the Racetrack or other places we might consider visiting within the park?
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby James Sel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

dzrtdwg wrote:Thanks for the help and suggestions. We're driving a Subaru with all-wheel-drive and we're wondering if it would be possible to make it out to the Racetrack. The Subaru does well on graded gravel roads, but if the going gets too rough I'm not sure I'd feel very confident. Any thoughts on making it to the Racetrack or other places we might consider visiting within the park?

See that sign if you do turn around. Other then that; if going in a Subaru Outback the road shouldn't be a problem. Keep the gas tank full and gallons of drinking water on hand even in the winter.

..and above all things turn off the GPS! for that road.
:sun:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 am

Yes, we've heard about the infamous Lippincott Pass! My wife and I have enough sense to avoid getting in over our heads. We're sticking to graded dirt roads and we're not taking any chances. We'll also check with rangers in the park when we arrive, but we're trying to have a plan in place with options before we embark on this trip!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:52 am

On our trip in October we wound up staying two nights in Beatty and one night in Pahrump. We're planning another trip in March and will probably stay three nights in Lone Pine on that trip since that's the closest town to the sites we plan to visit. Panamint Springs would also be a good location, but we're not too sure about the rooms there. Does anyone know if the rooms there are worth the price they're asking? My wife insists on staying in a motel and so camping is not an option.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby James Sel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 am

dzrtdwg wrote:On our trip in October we wound up staying two nights in Beatty and one night in Pahrump. We're planning another trip in March and will probably stay three nights in Lone Pine on that trip since that's the closest town to the sites we plan to visit. Panamint Springs would also be a good location, but we're not too sure about the rooms there. Does anyone know if the rooms there are worth the price they're asking? My wife insists on staying in a motel and so camping is not an option.

PSR rooms are expensive for what they are. Not fancy, but I would stay there no problem just don't expect luxary. Not sure if they have TVs. Don't cook anything in the rooms it's not allowed.

http://www.panamintsprings.com/ Their site has pics of the rooms......

All our rooms are non-smoking rooms. If you choose to smoke in one of our rooms there will be a $150 cleaning charge.
We do not allow cooking of any kind in our motel rooms. There is a $150 penalty if you cook in our rooms.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks James for the info. It looks like Lone Pine will probably be our best bet. Nothing against Panamint Springs, but like you say they do seem to be a little over-priced considering what they offer.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring