Eureka Dunes

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Eureka Dunes

Postby wildrose » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:44 am

Anyone know the current road conditions for roads leading to Eureka Dunes? I know there are usually good roads from Big Pine or from the Scotty's Castle area, but I'm not sure which one's are closed and/or in really bad shape.
:4x4:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Eureka Dunes

Postby BoraxBill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:45 am

wildrose wrote:Anyone know the current road conditions for roads leading to Eureka Dunes? I know there are usually good roads from Big Pine or from the Scotty's Castle area, but I'm not sure which one's are closed and/or in really bad shape.
:4x4:

There ought to be something posted somewhere on the web. I always have a hard time tracking down info like this when I need to know if a road is open or not. They do a lousy job at keeping roads open in Inyo. They need to hire people who are more qualified to do the job to run things cuz no road should be down for more than a week or two and to still be fretting about roads after almost two months is ridiculous!
:curse:
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildbill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 am

After the rain that fell last night, who knows if it's even possible to reach Eureka Dunes by land! If the storm up there was as intense as it was down here, then there might not be a whole lot of road left anywhere near the dunes! Best solution would probably be to hire a helicopter and fly in! (I'm sure the park probably has some kind of rule against that, so that might not be a viable solution. So, you're probably best off just waiting a couple years for Inyo County to get around to fixing the roads!)
:smack:
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 am

From what I've heard it's possible to get to Eureka Dunes from Big Pine and the road through Steal Pass in normal condition. It's the road over north pass and down into Saline Valley that's out. Don't quote me on that though. That's just what I've heard from various people.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:20 am

panamint_patty wrote:From what I've heard it's possible to get to Eureka Dunes from Big Pine and the road through Steal Pass in normal condition. It's the road over north pass and down into Saline Valley that's out. Don't quote me on that though. That's just what I've heard from various people.

This is correct.Went past the Dunes on the way to Saline and everything was hunky dory.Say a few sedans out there also.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby jeepnut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:11 am

Anyone know when the evening primroses at Eureka Dunes are likely to bloom? I'd imagine that the bloom period varies a little each year depending on weather conditions. I have some out of town friends who are planning on visiting the area in either March or April and they want to make a trip out to the dunes to see the rare evening primroses. So we're trying to pick dates that will enhance their chances of seeing the bloom at its peak. Thanks in advance.
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:20 pm

Death Valley, Tepui Adventure
This video includes clips from Eureka Dunes, the Steel Pass area, Saline Valley, the Lippencott area, and the Racetrack. On another forum the question was raised as to whether or not the proper permits were obtained in order to film a commercial video in Death Valley. In particular, the question was asked as to whether or not permission to operate drones was obtained. It's my understanding that operating drones in national parks is prohibited. I'm sure that it's possible to get a permit to operate drones, but you can't just go out to a national park and start flying your drone. At least that's my understanding.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 am

blackturtle.us: Nice video. They probably failed to get proper permits and they probably did violate a few laws and rules, but I still like the video. If jet planes can roar through the area, then what's the big deal with a drone flying around? Put in proper perspective, it doesn't seem to be an issue with fretting about.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:29 am

blackturtle.us: It most definitely is the case that it is against the law to operate drones in national parks and Death Valley NP would be no exception to that rule. Although it may be possible to get a permit to operate a drone, I seriously doubt that the people who made the Tepui Adventure video bothered with that. Most likely they just figured that they'd get away with it or else maybe they were ignorant of the law.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Return to Hiking and Exploring