Wildrose Charcoal Kilns

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Wildrose Charcoal Kilns

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 am

panamint_patty: Yes, it's amazing how pleasant the weather can be up around the Charcoal Kilns and Mahogany Flats even when it's still extremely hot down in the desert. So far I've never been up there when I couldn't get a campsite up at the flats, but I know it's a popular place with only a few campsites. There's also a small campsite just above the kilns that's handy if Mahogany Flats is full.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:28 am

Yes, there are three campsites near the charcoal kilns. The one just above the kilns is called Throndike (7400') and it has six sites. Mahogany Flats (8200') has ten sites and way down before the kilns is Wildrose (4100') with twenty-three sites. The road above the kilns is a little bit rough, so don't take a car not equipped for moderate off-road up there. The only one with water is Wildrose, BTW.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby recluse » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 am

Any damage to the kilns as a result of the recent quakes? Those are some pretty old structures and they're made of the same type of materials that were the most damaged in Ridgecrest and Trona. Hopefully the kilns are far enough away from origin of the quakes to escape damage!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Pearl Jam - Dance Of The Clairvoyants (Mach III)
Looks like a the kilns at just barely after 2:30.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 am

recluse: That was quick! You hardly even see them. I'm not impressed with the song or the video. But they are a famous band and those are definitely the kilns and so thanks for posting.... I guess.... ;)
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring