TJUSD - Educational Disaster Zone

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD - Educational Disaster Zone

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:17 am

sandman wrote:
twister wrote:If the school has plenty of money, then it ought to be put to work to improve the education of all the students attending the school. Obviously, a very large portion of the staff is unqualified, under-qualified, inexperienced, and/or ineffective, and so it makes sense to make arrangements for students to have the option of attending a school which can deliver a quality education. Providing transportation to Ridgecrest for those who wish to have a quality educational experience not only makes sense, but it seems like the ethical thing to do under these circumstances. I've heard that the school board wants to build a new high school, but that's obviously a waste of money. If they can't even find qualified teachers to teach, then what's the point of having a new facility!
:smack:

There are simple solutions to problems and there are unnecessarily complicated ways of dealing the bad situations. You're right that it makes sense to just bus students to Ridgecrest. This is especially true at the high school, but if the school can't find qualified teachers for the lower grades, then maybe those kids should be bused also.

The options available to high schoolers at the high school in Ridgecrest are far beyond anything available in Trona. The school in Trona is pretty rinky dink and with unqualified instructors it's almost a waste of time. A positive change benefiting students is needed and the only reasonable option is busing them to Ridgecrest. Building a new facility in Trona is an unjustifiable waste of taxpayer money!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:28 am

I just posted this over on the new message board and it seems generally relevant here too:
Facebook Jokester hit with a FELONY for Police Parody - Onion Amicus
Some people are just stupid and some people abuse power and when stupid people get into positions of power stupid things happen.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 pm

Here I am again with another double post! I just posted this video in the new forum in the Gender Dysphoria thread, but comments Dr. Peterson makes at the end of this video about female psychopathology seem to apply to the K-12 Coordinator discussed in this and a few other threads.
Joe Rogan & Jordan Peterson: "All Hells Gonna Break Lose"
And I quote: "One of the things we won't honestly discuss in our society, one of many, is the fundamental nature of female political psychopathology." He spits out some cold, hard truth!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:57 am

panamint_patty: Based on everything I've heard, I'd have to agree and I would add that the school board is displaying enabling behavior which would indicate an underlying systemic pathology. Of course, having said that I'd have to provide the standard Dr. Grande disclaimer indicating that this is all speculation based on careful consideration of the available evidence and not necessarily a psychological assessment.
:prof:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:14 am

Everything I've heard indicates that the majority of people working at the school are convinced that she's psychologically unfit to work with children of any age and that she is a control freak who wants to tell everyone what to do. People I've talked to directly roll their eyes and say that she's a disaster along with the incompetent superintendent and the nepotistic school board.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Coyote » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:03 pm

I didn't think it could get worser- I know that is terrible English, but it fits the situation.
This school board has such a tight grip on this stuperintendent- he won't make a move without their approval. In turn, none of his underlings can do anything without his say so. Thus nothing happens and now, the school is crashing into the desert, in a big pile of mismanagement.
Parents what ever you are doing on facebook it is working, it is putting pressure on admin but they still don't know what to do... its maddening. Those in charge have no idea how to solve the most basic of issues. Their solution: let's pay someone from outside Trona to come and give us suggestions. Constant money flow out of the school district. Why not ask your staff- who know the issues and the school?
But apparently money is not an issue for this school board because they did not bat an eye at the latest cost estimate for their new school. $71 million up from $40 million, but they don't have money for students, supplemental materials, hiring qualified teachers, maintaining staff, training for staff, maintaining the current properties, etc.
They still have no estimates, no idea of what their portion of this total cost will be... Unfortunately, they will build it on the backs of the very kids they say it is for.
I heard there are 50 year old pipes in the current building that need replacement. Wasn't that a problem with the older high school site?! And now, its the same problem at the current elementary site... sounds like someone doesn't know how to schedule and plan basic site maintenance. No hot water in bathrooms.
Attendance at the school is at an all time low, including teachers. Not to mention staff morale which is dismal.
Our school needs help and many want to see it make a comeback. Its current leadership is inept.
Coyote
Greenhorn

Postby wildrose » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:46 am

coyote: There is nothing positive to say about the school. Everything I've heard is negative and getting worse. The guy who is head of maintenance is a school board suck up. His brother's on the board and most of the others on the board are close family friends. Despite his incompetence (he's made some bone-headed blunders which have cost the district well over $100K) he's getting paid a ridiculously high salary. Talk about doing favors for friends and family! And then there's the pathetic excuse for a superintendent who is like a pet dog just waiting to please its master (the school board). It's funny in a way that the school board member who used to be a school bus driver refers to him as her boy.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Coyote » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:48 pm

Wildrose and to others that are concerned for TJUSD: The only positives are the students who come to learn, the teachers who continue to put forth their best despite the lack of respect given them from admin, and the parents who want their children to do well. We are a small community, this is not a hard fix.
But sadly, those few in charge are taking this ship in a horrible direction. Superintendent is a pawn, played by the school board. Head of maintenance is married to our Business Director (aka the finances of the school) and is a brother to one of the board members. They seem driven to build this new school, regardless of costs. They say its for the kids but I wonder... nothing they do is for the kids. Recently admin got caught with over 200 hours of non-instructional time for high school students due to the lack of substitute teachers (because they are over at the elementary side filling empty teacher positions), they thought it was fine until parents learned about it and complained. The school received many funds, like 500K, to provide extra to help boost the learning from the covid loss years. Where is that money really gone? Admin wrote when asking for those funds, they would provide transportation for after school tutoring and extend tutoring to longer hours- but that didn't happen. The school has been short-handed for this entire school year but not one ad on edjoin for substitutes or teachers. Why? They would rather put kids on some program because they save money- save money for what? (building the new school? maybe)
A school district is suppose to provide an education of students. Teachers are the front line staff to that purpose. Every other position at the school from bottom to top, including the school board members, are support staff to that purpose. We should all be working together to that end. I'm hoping for a miracle that TJUSD comes to its senses soon or they may lose a number of employees.
The Trona Community needs to get involved, ask questions and be part of the discussion for the solution. Be aware the school board members do not like questions.
Coyote
Greenhorn

Postby blackturtle.us » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:26 am

Two documents were sent to me which show that students are being parked in front of computers without teacher supervision way too often and that there is something fishy going on with the board:
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:23 am

wildrose wrote:coyote: There is nothing positive to say about the school. Everything I've heard is negative and getting worse. The guy who is head of maintenance is a school board suck up. His brother's on the board and most of the others on the board are close family friends. Despite his incompetence (he's made some bone-headed blunders which have cost the district well over $100K) he's getting paid a ridiculously high salary. Talk about doing favors for friends and family! And then there's the pathetic excuse for a superintendent who is like a pet dog just waiting to please its master (the school board). It's funny in a way that the school board member who used to be a school bus driver refers to him as her boy.

That sounds racist, but coming from that lady I'm not surprised at all. That lady has done some pretty outrageous things over the years. I should probably make a list sometime, but the story that comes to mind in regards to this is something a friend told me years ago about her complaining about what she called the "beaner brigade" back when we were in high school. There was a group of kids she didn't like and that's just how she talked about them. The lady has issues to put it quite bluntly.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News