Wild Horses and Donkeys

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Wild Horses and Donkeys

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 am

I read somewhere that the donkeys that used to live in Death Valley have been completely eliminated. I doubt that claim since it seems that it would be impossible to get rid of all of them, especially in areas like the Panamint Range. However, except for Pleasant Canyon and South Park Canyon, I don't recall seeing any inside DVNP for a few years. I have seen many outside park boundaries in recent years. Anyone else have encounters with donkeys in or near the park?
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

At the warm springs they are commonly seen rummaging through camper's supplies getting meals.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:23 am

James Sel: I haven't been in that area for quite some time, but it makes sense that they'd be there if they're in the Panamints. Most likely the entire Butte Valley area is full of them. It would be hard for the rangers to get back there and do much about reducing the population.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:43 am

sandman: Donkeys are supposedly a problem in the Beatty area. There was something about them being a nuisance at the Beatty dump and if donkeys are in that area, then they probably roam over into the Nevada Triangle part of the park and maybe over towards Titus Canyon too.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 am

There are at least a few in Saline Valley and the hot springs. I know that much for sure. I rode through there with some friends a while back and we saw at least a few donkeys at the hot springs. I've heard others talk about the donkeys there too.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 am

US government wasn't really going to kill horses
When the number of donkeys and horses in wild areas gets to the point where it displaces or kills off native animals and plants, then we have a problem and something has to be done about it. I don't want a bunch of whiners preventing rangers from solving this critical problem. If donkeys and horses have to die because there is no other affordable alternative, then so be it. Otherwise, maybe the whiners can come up with the funds and resources!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 am

deathvalleyjake: I'd be in favor of allowing hunters to thin the herd on a regular basis. I'm sure some PETA fanatics would have a fit. Maybe we can declare open season on PETA fanatics too while we're at it!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:13 am

sandman: The BLM should just shoot the damn things and donate the meat to local schools. Have the cafeterias throughout the area cook up some BBQ donkey and horse burgers. I'm sure the kids will love them!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 am

BBQ: A community BBQ would be a lot of fun. Hunt down a few donkeys, BBQ them until their flesh is tender and tasty and raffle off their hides. That's what I call a memorable and unique event. It's also a creative way of dealing with excess donkeys. Horses aren't a problem around here, but there's no donkey shortage. That's for sure!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby whiskeypete » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:33 am

BBQ: There was a story about a group of gentlemen who every year would slaughter a donkey and BBQ it somewhere in the Trona area. I don't know how many people were actually involved and if they all belonged to a certain organization or if this was more of a casual tradition among friends, but it sounds to me like an event or tradition worth reviving!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature