Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Death Valley NP Advertising for New STUPIDINTENDENT
Looks like the one there now is moving on to greener pastures, in otherwords most anywhere else! :laugh:
Job Title: Park Manager (Superintendent)
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: National Park Service
SALARY RANGE: $97,657.00 to $149,333.00 / Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 to Monday, October 27, 2014
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0025-14/15
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time - Permanent
DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy in the following location: Death Valley, CA
WHO MAY APPLY: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Q - Sensitive
SUPERVISORY STATUS: Yes

LINK: http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/jobs/Park-Manager-Superintendent-382976200.html
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 am

I find it interesting that a security clearance is required for the superintendent job. A friend of mine said it's because they're getting ready to set up FEMA camps throughout the nation, but I'm pretty sure she was just joking. My guess is that military bases are all around the area and that sometimes it is necessary that the superintendent be made aware of military exercises and the transportation of nuclear materials.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:59 am

tronagirl: I wasn't able to find much information about a Q level security clearance, but I think you're probably correct about it having to do with a need to be informed about military exercises and activities involving nuclear waste and possible transportation of weapons in the area. There may also be surveillance activities being conducted in the area that aren't actually legal, but done just the same and a security clearance ensures that information about any such program will not be shared with the public.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 am

‘Creepytings’ Vandal Targets National Parks in Western US; Internet Mob Fights Back
This graffiti artist has left her mark in about a dozen national parks including DVNP. One image included in this article shows one of her pieces on a rock along the crest near Telescope Peak.
The National Park Service is investigating reports of graffiti and other vandalism in at least 10 National Park sites throughout the western United States, including three in California. One move that could get the vandal caught? Showcasing their “artwork” on social media. Photos have surfaced in online hiking forums of what appears to be a woman painting graffiti in scenic locales. The art includes colorful images of faces in profile and is signed with the phrase “Creepytings 2014.” Images of the graffiti were apparently posted on Instagram.

LINK: http://ktla.com/2014/10/24/creepytings-vandal-targets-national-parks-in-western-us-internet-mob-fights-back/
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 am

Casey Nocket: Great Artist or Vandal
I agree that people shouldn't go around doing stuff like this, but the whiny comments people leave! Ugh!!! :smack:
Here's just one:
If this doesn’t prove the inherent entitled feeling of the young blonde american woman, I don’t know what else does. THen again, I have to admit, most young blonde women aren’t this stupid, but there are many who are this bad an artist. Look at me, I’m so special. It’s not about my looks, I’m different!

LINK: http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:36 am

Terrible Human Defaces National Parks With Ugly Drawings
Over on Gawker some of the comments are a little less one-sided. Apparently Modern Hiker caters to environazis with their dogmatic views about protecting the environment, whereas Gawker attracts a more diverse crowd. Not that I agree with this kind of behavior, but sometimes people can be so damn self-righteous about things!
I don't see the big deal. The way people are reacting is uglier than her art; that alone was worth her doing it. I imagine some of you want to see her stopped and put in jail, or heavily fined. I don't understand the obsession with "untouched" land, as if human interaction with the land is somehow unholy.

LINK: http://gawker.com/terrible-human-defaces-national-parks-with-ugly-drawing-1649823419
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Vandalism

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 am

The fine should be TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS per site defaced plus six months behind bars. On top of that maybe 120 hours of community service when she gets out of prison. I don't think that's at all excessive. I'd say it's pretty fair considering what she's done.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 am

In Death Valley, a Jeep, back roads and a whole new perspective
Right away, a wild valley opens up. A washboard path winds through a Joshua tree forest as sprawling and Seussian as any in Joshua Tree National Park. At mile 20, you reach Teakettle Junction, a strange metallic oasis of dangling cookware where dozens of campers have autographed their kettles and hung them on the sign. At mile 27, you park and walk.

According to this article, Joshua Tree NP ain't got nothing on DVNP, even when it comes to Joshua trees! :thumb2:
ARTICLE:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/california/la-tr-d-death-valley-postcard-20150125-story.html#page=1
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BoraxBill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 am

We took a Corvette Z06 to Death Valley :cactus:
Fun car to drive, but once you run out of pavement, you're SOOL!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby JanuaryJones » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:20 am

Remains found in Death Valley
The remains of a guy names Graig Legatt were found in DVNP on Feburary 16, 2015. A search was conducted near the spot where his vehicle was abandoned and eventually his remains were located about a mile up a ravine from the vehicle. The vehicle was reported on February 10th and between that day and the 16th both ground and aerial searches were conducted. It's hard to say how long the vehicle had been sitting there before it was reported. Probably at least a couple or a few days.
The Inyo County Coroner has notified Legatt’s family; the cause of death was determined to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Although this search had a tragic ending, the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office said it would like to thank everyone for their assistance...

ARTICLE: http://www.inyoregister.com/node/6827
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News