Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby tronagirl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am

CoolChick: The commentary provided by the guys in the car says a lot, especially at the end of the video. Redneck justice alright! It was sloppy to leave the door unlocked so the guy could get in there in the first place. Another unnecessary death at the hands of those who are supposed to protect and serve.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:29 am

California Drought :cactus:
A slightly warped video for your viewing pleasure! Not exactly news, but it does help remind us that we are in the middle of three consecutive years of drought and that Death Valley is drier than everywhere else and so things are particularly parched in and around that god forsaken stretch of terra firma!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

French tourist dies in Death Valley
A French tourist died at Mesquite Dunes on June 6th. He was on a bus tour and was told to be back within ten minutes when the bus stopped at the dunes. The air temperature was 115 F degrees. After an hour the bus driver contacted park officials and a while later the dead body of the tourist was located.
(The tourist) was located deceased in the dunes approximately 400 yards from the parking lot. No foul play is suspected at this time. The cause of death is under investigation by the Inyo County Coroner’s Office.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/30564/french-tourist-dies-in/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 pm

UK man’s body found in Death Valley
Another dead tourist in Death Valley. This guy was 50 and form the UK.
The Inyo County Sheriff’s Dispatch received notification on Sunday at approximately 7:00AM that remains had been discovered in a remote wash below Manly Beacon, west of Zabriskie Point in Death Valley.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/30925/uk-mans-body-found-in-death-valley/
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Doesn't that belong in hiking and exploring? JUST KIDDING! Poor guy.

I am smelling smoke really stong tonight. At first I thought maybe I was burning something on the stove but it was coming from outside. I think it's coming from very far away from the North by NorthWest direction. I can see a haze over the horizon that makes for a beautiful sunset. It actually smells kind of nice, kind of like incense. Too bad it's actually the desert burning...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 am

tronagirl wrote:UK man’s body found in Death Valley
Another dead tourist in Death Valley. This guy was 50 and form the UK.
The Inyo County Sheriff’s Dispatch received notification on Sunday at approximately 7:00AM that remains had been discovered in a remote wash below Manly Beacon, west of Zabriskie Point in Death Valley.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/30925/uk-mans-body-found-in-death-valley/

Turns out this guy was an actor:
"Harry Potter" actor Dave Legeno died while hiking in Death Valley National Park in California. Legeno's body was found "in a remote wash" by a pair of hikers on Sunday, July 6. Legeno most likely died of heat related issues and may have been dead for three to four days before his body was discovered.

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/11/dave-legeno-dead-dies_n_5578253.html
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 am

surfsteve wrote:Doesn't that belong in hiking and exploring? JUST KIDDING! Poor guy.

I am smelling smoke really stong tonight. At first I thought maybe I was burning something on the stove but it was coming from outside. I think it's coming from very far away from the North by NorthWest direction. I can see a haze over the horizon that makes for a beautiful sunset. It actually smells kind of nice, kind of like incense. Too bad it's actually the desert burning...

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3944/
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:51 am

Harry Potter actor Dave Legeno dead in Death Valley
The videos covering this event posted on YouTube are just robot voices reading a news article, but just the same the tell the basic story. Apparently robots can't pronounce Inyo correctly!
Legeno also appeared on TV and in films including Snow White and the Huntsman and Batman Begins. The tall, muscular one-time professional boxer was set to star in an upcoming film titled Sword of Vengeance prior to his death. Harry Potter actor Dave Legeno dead in Death Valley.

CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Racetrack Playa: How Rocks Move
Probably the most boring experiment ever except that it seems to provide a definitive answer to why the rocks move at The Racetrack.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:09 am

Scientists Have Figured Out Why Rocks Move In Death Valley
The news media can be amazingly inaccurate. One anchor implies that the location where the rocks are moving is the same as the area that is the lowest point on the continent and the site of the highest temperature ever recorded. Sloppiness and laziness seem to be a distinguishing characteristic of our news media!
:smack:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News