Perceptions of Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Perceptions of Trona

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:24 am

Just like any other small town, Trona has it's share of dipsticks who like to spread stupid rumors. There are some great people in Trona, but there are also plenty of complete losers. It's the same anywhere you go more or less!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby KissMyTail » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 am

ShotgunMary: Trona is worse than most small towns. Ever notice how respectable people when they can afford it move to Ridgecrest or somewhere even nicer? That leaves the worst of the worst behind. The quality of the people remaining in Trona continues to get worse and worse. I can list so many wonderful who just got fed up with Trona and wound up leaving. That's not to say that there aren't some good people remaining, but half of them are probably miserable and they'll probably eventually leave.
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 am

Yep. Trona has gone downhill and that seems like a trend that will continue. I still have friends in Trona, but as time goes on many of them move on to greener pastures one way or the other. It's been sad to watch Trona steadily deteriorate over the years, but it seems that the point of no return was passed years ago.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildbill » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 am

Most people I know have moved to Ridgecrest including myself. I lived in Trona for awhile and liked it, but had to move. Neighbors were low-lifes and I lived in one of the nicer parts of town! They used to joke about Argus being the most undesirable part of town. Now the whole town is just one big Argus with people who 'dunt know no better' likely to live right next to you. Trona has definitely known better times!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby twister » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:13 am

wildbill: I haven't given up on Trona yet, but I know what you mean. I have a couple friends who live next to inconsiderate jerks. A town is only as good as the people who live in it and when the number of jerks start to outnumber the people who are considerate and responsible, then it's gotten to the point where it might be fair to categorize the entire town as a sh*thole to use a term popularized by our esteemed and eloquent president.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 am

The problem is cheap housing. As good as some of the deals in Trona may be, the down side is that any jerk can afford to buy a house in town. That means that good neighbors might easily be replaced by bad neighbors. Over time more bad neighbors move in and good people move away. It's a downward spiral, but that's how things have been going in Trona for decades. It was a wonderful place at one time, but those days are over. Hopefully I will be proven wrong at some point in the not too distant future, but realistically speaking, that's not very likely.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Reality sucks and stupid people do stupid things and somehow the world keeps spinning. My guess is that most people already consider Trona to be a sh**hole and that things ain't gonna be getting any better anytime soon or ever for that matter.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby torn80 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:27 am

BallaratBob wrote:Reality sucks and stupid people do stupid things and somehow the world keeps spinning. My guess is that most people already consider Trona to be a sh**hole and that things ain't gonna be getting any better anytime soon or ever for that matter.

We can be optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic and depending on how we want to look at things we might see the future of Trona in different ways. There's nothing wrong with Trona that can't be fixed with a healthy dose of consideration, respect, and mindfulness, but it's not clear if the people of Trona are up to it or not. I say that as someone who grew up and went to school in Trona. However, I now live in another state.
torn80
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:51 am

torn80: It sounds like you're asking people to make a sober assessment of the future of Trona at a time when many will soon be waking up with hangovers!
:laugh:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 am

torn80 wrote:
BallaratBob wrote:Reality sucks and stupid people do stupid things and somehow the world keeps spinning. My guess is that most people already consider Trona to be a sh**hole and that things ain't gonna be getting any better anytime soon or ever for that matter.

We can be optimistic, pessimistic, or realistic and depending on how we want to look at things we might see the future of Trona in different ways. There's nothing wrong with Trona that can't be fixed with a healthy dose of consideration, respect, and mindfulness, but it's not clear if the people of Trona are up to it or not. I say that as someone who grew up and went to school in Trona. However, I now live in another state.

A problem occurs when the most active people in a community are also the most toxic people in a community. Not necessarily saying that this is a problem in any particular locality, but it's something worth pondering.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News