TJUSD Board Meeting - September 12, 2013

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - September 12, 2013

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 am

cactuspete wrote:
wildrose wrote:Teen football player dies after helmet-to-helmet hit
This happens a couple times almost every year. If kids are dying, then why do we still do it? How is this any different from any other form of child abuse?
:mad2:

MrGreen and A2Z probably take this a little too far and I'm not sure if I agree with WildRose that this should be considered a form of child abuse (or maybe child endangerment). People might argue the point one way or the other. On one side they might say that all the protective gear makes it relatively safe, but if it's so dangerous that special gear is needed, then is it appropriate for public schools to allow students to participate? Some might say that the frequency of injury is relatively low, but it's undeniable that injuries occur at a predictable rate and so it does seem to be a form of child endangerment. I have no doubt that many people have been found guilty of child endangerment for allowing kids to engage in activities which are much less dangerous. I suppose it comes down to a fairly arbitrary distinction between which activities are popular and which aren't, in which case the issue isn't really safety!
:mad2:

It's best not to spend too much time worrying about consistency when it comes to laws and rules created by humans. There are cases where there were no restrooms available in which someone had to just duck behind a tree to relieve themselves that some judge decided that the person should be registered as a sex offender for indecent exposure. By the same token, there are cases where parents are completely negligent and kids wind up crippled or dead where the parents aren't even investigated. There is no rhyme or reason to the crazy laws we have or the crazy way laws get enforced. If you expect everything to be fair and consistent, you're likely to wind up pissed off at the world. I think some of those guys who go on shooting sprees make the mistake of assuming that they should always be treated in a fair manner and when they discover that this isn't so, they snap. But as for this football discussion, you can never be too safe, but when you try you wind up not being able to have a life. So, my advice is not to worry too much about inconsistencies, fairness, and justice and just go with the flow and enjoy what you can in life cuz life is too short to fight every battle you encounter!
:roll2:
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby sandman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 am

Impeach Kid President
My niece was watching this video when I walked by this morning. This is about the most annoying supposed pep talk I've ever seen. Is there any way to impeach this little POC? The video is called "Kid President's Pep Talk to Teachers and Students!" and I recommend that anyone with a youtube account log on and give it a :down:
I also don't recommend that you watch more than a few seconds of the video because it is incredibly annoying!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 am

re: Impeach Kid President
:laugh:
He is a rather annoying little twerp! Maybe someone on YouTube should start a campaign to impeach him! Or maybe it can be done on Facebook or Twitter. Then again probably the censors on each of those sites would decide that such a campaign is some kind of bullying. There's gotta be a way to launch a campaign to impeach the little brat!
:diablo:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 pm

To pledge or not to pledge?
This is an interesting debate regarding the value of saying the pledge at school. Many people object to the "under god" part. Students have the right to not recite the pledge and I'm sure many leave out the "under god" part.
The Supreme Court wrote in its 1943 decision allowing individuals to opt out of reciting the pledge in school: “To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds.”

LINK: http://www.cta.org/en/Professional-Development/Publications/2013/09/September-2013-Educator/pointpledge.aspx
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 am

Kindergartener Gets School Absence Pardon From President
A presidential absence note makes a cute story and is a neat experience for a kid, but some of the comments left in response to this video are inexcusably mean!
:eek:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 am

School suspends boys for using pellet gun
These boys are lucky that the school didn't involve law enforcement. Here in California that would have been expected and these boys would have had to deal with the legal system in that case. The school has jurisdiction when students are on the way to or the way home from school and has a responsibility to deal with complaints such as this.
:smack:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

Cheating in High School
Studying is a lot like cheating only you're hiding the answers in yer.... BRAIN!!!!
:laugh:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:28 am

PA School Being Sued For Suspending 7-Year-Old Student 'Armed' With A Novelty Buzzing Pen :smack:
Stunning stupidity! Any idiot who is this inflexible when it comes to following the rules needs to be demoted so that he/she can do the least amount of harm possible. It just goes to prove what Frank Zappa had to say about stupidity:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

FROM THE ARTICLE:
Let's forgo the usual preamble running down previous clashes between common sense and school weapons policies and get right to it. Here's another example of zero tolerance and the damage done, involving a seven-year-old and his dangerous gag gift/pen. A lawsuit filed against Hershey Elementary School (along with the Derry Township School District and Principal Joy MacKenzie) details the events that led up to seven-year-old G.B.'s four-day suspension.

This is a case where they parents SHOULD definitely sue the school district. Anyone this stupid absolutely deserves to be sued!
LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130926/12151824667/pa-school-being-sued-suspending-7-year-old-student-armed-with-novelty-buzzing-pen.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:08 am

Assistant Superintendent addresses SSUSD Common Core concerns
Another so-called new way of doing things. A bunch of new acronyms and recycling of a few old ways of doing things is about all it really amounts to. Oh, yes, and maybe some of it involves technology. A superficial veneer to transform the same old thing into something that at least seems somewhat new.
:roll2:
As part of the Common Core style of learning for K-12 education, which replaces California's old style of standardized testing in English/Language Arts and mathematics, school districts are able to select 15 percent of their own curriculum. The system California used since 1999, California Standardized Testing and Reporting test (STAR), is being phased out. STAR was used to test grades 2-11 in a range of subjects, with the core being English/Language Arts and mathematics. Students at higher grades were tested in science, and history/social science. With the exception of some writing portions, STAR was entirely multiple-choice.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20131002/NEWS/131009916
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:28 am

What happens if Feminists rule the Schoools
This pretty much sums up what is wrong with most of the new ways of teaching math and science and it is why the the future of this country looks pretty bleak!

NOTE: Looks like the video got taken down as a result of a copyright violation complaint. It was clearly a case of fair use, but YouTube caves when it comes to protecting free speech rights! Here's a link to an archive that at least shows a few of the comments: http://archive.today/pUO8K
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News