TJUSD School Board Meeting - October 11, 2012

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD School Board Meeting - October 11, 2012

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

'Fantasy Slut League' Uncovered in High School
The commentators in this news clip keep insisting that the school has an obligation to deal with this matter. My take is that the school has an obligation to stay out of the personal lives of students! If someone broke the law then the school has the legal obligation to contact the authorities, but if it's just kids acting inappropriately when they're not at school then it's none of the school's business. If the sexual escapades described in this news clip actually take place at school, then the school should get involved, but I highly doubt that any of that kind of thing took place on the school campus!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

desertrat wrote:SURFSTEVE: Interesting video. I've never seen the T from so close. It looks alright from a distance. If someone wanted to mess it up they'd need shovels or crowbars and be willing to put in a few hours of work. No one hates Trona that much! It's easier just to leave. Maybe fixing the T would be a good job for the T Party.
:roll:

surfsteve wrote:
A. Curtis Bouteau (sp?) - Complimented the senior class on their behavior while they were out painting the T last week

What color were they painting it? Brown or white? From far away it looks like the bottom of the T is fading out but when I climbed up there last week, it was obvious that somebody had painted over the white with brown paint. What is that all about?

SurfSteve: Interesting video. As for the brown paint I think DesertRat is right. If someone wanted to destroy the T, shovels and crowbars would be the way to go. It would take an incredibly stupid person to attempt to irradicate the T using paint. It would be expensive and take hours and hours of work. I'd be willing to bet that four people could destroy the T in less than two hours using just shovels. Not that I want anyone to actually do anything like that, but I'm just saying that the brown paint way of doing it would be just plain RETARDED!
:smack:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

TJUSD candidates debate plans for education in Trona at forum
Not a lot of substance said, but at least the community had a chance to hear from the candidates before the election.
Trona Joint Unified School District Board of Trustee candidates faced off in a forum Tuesday evening and fielded questions ranging from why they are running to what they feel is the role of the board and its members. Incumbent Bob Wilhelm and challengers Karin Siegle, Sandy Sprouse and Samantha MacLean are running for two open seats.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20121025/NEWS/121029822
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

cactuspete wrote:TJUSD candidates debate plans for education in Trona at forum
Not a lot of substance said, but at least the community had a chance to hear from the candidates before the election.
Trona Joint Unified School District Board of Trustee candidates faced off in a forum Tuesday evening and fielded questions ranging from why they are running to what they feel is the role of the board and its members. Incumbent Bob Wilhelm and challengers Karin Siegle, Sandy Sprouse and Samantha MacLean are running for two open seats.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20121025/NEWS/121029822

Well, it would have been a chance for the community to hear from the candidates if people were told about the meeting. I asked around and no one I know even heard about the meeting!
:smack:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

High School Football Ban Proposal
Football fans usually claim that there are important lessons learned as a result of playing football (team work, strategy, etc.). I say that these people are lying to themselves. They love football and they try to justify allowing kids to play football by pretending that it actually has value. Pathetic!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Special Board Meeting: October 29, 2012
There were only three items on the agenda for this meeting:
1) Approval of certificated teacher (who already started working prior to meeting): APPROVED 5-0
2) Approval of tentative agreement with Trona Teachers Association: APPROVED 5-0
There was a little discussion on this this item. A couple board members expressed concern about whether or not the district had adequate reserves as projected over the next three years given the terms of this agreement. Superintendent Olney assured board members that the district would have adequate reserves and that the monetary costs of the agreement would be covered by royalty income.
3) Approval of health and welfare benefits agreement for certifcated management: APPROVED 5-0
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, November 8, 2012 (5 pm closed session / 6 pm open session)
Anyone desiring the specifics of the agreement between the Trona Teachers Association and the Trona Joint USD should inquire at the district office. (The entire agreement is two and a half pages long! However, if there is a specific question about the contract I'll be happy to answer it.)
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

BOARD MEMBER RESULTS:
KARIN SIEGLE... 135 (17.98%)
SANDRA KAY SPROUSE... 208 (27.70%)
BOB R. WILHELM... 191 (25.43%)
SAMANTHA MACLEAN... 217 (28.89%)
Total 751
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil