The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby recluse » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Football helps to heal citizens impacted by Trona earthquake
This is kind of funny. The impression I get is that most people don't really pay any attention to high school football whether we're talking in Trona or most anywhere else. As for PTSD from the earthquakes? You've gotta be kidding me!!! What kind of snowflake drama queen would be traumatized by a couple of earthquakes? It might have been an inconvenience, but not exactly traumatic.
:laugh:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:23 am

recluse wrote:Football helps to heal citizens impacted by Trona earthquake
This is kind of funny. The impression I get is that most people don't really pay any attention to high school football whether we're talking in Trona or most anywhere else. As for PTSD from the earthquakes? You've gotta be kidding me!!! What kind of snowflake drama queen would be traumatized by a couple of earthquakes? It might have been an inconvenience, but not exactly traumatic.

PTSD? What planet is this guy from? People who are in the middle of military conflicts suffer PTSD. People who babble on about the earth shaking for a few seconds are total idiots! Earthquakes can be dangerous, but only if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and very few people find themselves in such a situation during an earthquake. Ninety-nine percent of people in Trona and Ridgecrest suffered no serious injuries as a result of the two earthquakes which occurred early in July. There was some damage to property, but other than that the earth shook for a few seconds and then it was over. There were inconveniences such as the power going out and the water supply being disrupted, but all that was taken care of quickly. Seems sometimes that the drama queens among us have their heads up each others' asses and that they feed off each other and suffer from some kind of shared delusion. Here's a dose of reality for those special snowflakes: Anyone who claims that they suffer PTSD as a result of the earthquakes is a total and complete moron!
:thumb2:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:48 am

My thoughts:

Any sport or occupation helps citizens impacted by the earthquake. If dirt football fields are so great why do other communities put so much time and effort into maintaining their fields? Grass not growing in Trona due to bad soil is a myth. All you need is water. I had a beautiful lawn here in Trona. I just couldn't afford the water bill. I hear that they grew grass very successfully as an experiment at the Trona school but that someone sabotaged it by sterilizing the soil.

It might be that, way back when they watered the plants with brine, it had something to do with preventing plants from growing but that certainly isn't true about watering with fresh water. Grass will grow in Trona as long as it isn't sabotaged. I am 100% certain!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:22 am

mrfish wrote:Seems sometimes that the drama queens among us have their heads up each others' asses and that they feed off each other and suffer from some kind of shared delusion. Here's a dose of reality for those special snowflakes: Anyone who claims that they suffer PTSD as a result of the earthquakes is a total and complete moron!
:thumb2:

:bow: That needed to be said and I could not have said it better! I've seen idiots with "I survived the quake" shirts on and I'm simply astounded that anyone would wear a shirt like that. If the most traumatic thing you've ever had to deal with is an earthquake, then you are so pathetically coddled that you should actually be wearing a shirt that says "100% Certified Wussy!"
surfsteve wrote:Grass will grow in Trona as long as it isn't sabotaged. I am 100% certain!

Other teams should simply boycott "The Pit" and force the school in Trona to supply a grass or artificial turf field. Sand is an unusual surface that provides an unfair advantage to the home team since they practice on it and learn to compensate for the peculiarities of the surface. While locals like to think of "The Pit" as something special, most people look at it as kind of ghetto.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Different strokes for different folks, but PTSD is going a little far! :smack:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:58 am

CrustyOldFart wrote:Different strokes for different folks, but PTSD is going a little far! :smack:

That's about right. I can see being annoyed or startled by the earthquakes. I can even see feeling exhilarated or even enjoying them. I can also understand small children feeling scared for a couple hours, but beyond that there's got to be a psychological issue involved that goes beyond just the earthquake events themselves. Obviously the inconvenience of the power being out or no water for a couple days was a hardship, but there's a huge difference between something being what you'd call a hardship and something being considered traumatic. Maybe some people don't understand the difference in meaning between those two words, but in that case the problem is just basic ignorance.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:26 am

Having lived in SoCal for most of my life I have a hard time understanding people who have an exaggerated fear of earthquakes. Of all the natural disasters, they are probably the easiest to deal with. They're over quickly and most of the time there is little or no damage. Even with the "Twin Quakes" back in July, most people had very little real damage. Most of my friends had to pick up a few things that had fallen on the floor and that was it. I've heard about a few people who had hundreds or a few thousand dollars in damage, but they were the exception. The electrical and water outages were an inconvenience and things were a little uncomfortable for a few days, but for the vast majority of people there was nothing even close to traumatic about the seismic events. MojaveMike makes a good point about the difference between trauma and hardship. Keeping things in proper perspective is important.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:56 am

wildrose: Keeping things in proper perspective requires intelligence and emotional maturity. Most people are lacking in one or the other or both. Children get a pass, but children are blessed with natural resilience unless they are surrounded by dysfunctional adults. Even then, kids with lots of intelligence generally tend to find their way despite bad circumstances. The important thing is not to buy into what I like to call the "Cult of Empathy." Never allow yourself to accept as normal behaviors which are inferior or dysfunctional. As soon as you do that you fall into the libtard and SJW rabbit hole. And you don't want to go there.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:05 pm

The PTSD statements were regrettable, but other than that I thought the video was pretty good.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:26 am

Funny how one dumb remark about an earthquake can derail the discussion in an entire thread. The focus here should be Trona Football and not an offhand poorly considered remark made by the coach. I agree that PTSD in this situation is ridiculous, but let us not get distracted from the topic at hand! Having said that, I have nothing to say about football! LOL
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News