TJUSD Board Meeting - January 08, 2015

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 08, 2015

Postby mrgreen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Student Fights Teacher For Confiscated Cell Phone
The two main TYTs provide good commentary on this event. The teacher handled the situation well and deserves praise for remaining calm and refraining from physical violence. The student will almost certainly serve a couple years in a juvenile offender facility and that's appropriate. Anyone who resorts to physical violence deserves to be incarcerated.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Poop On Gym Floor Results In Underwear Inspection At Elementary School :poop:
This is a pretty funny discussion and the corny joke at the end is so bad that it's hilarious!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:45 pm

4th Grader Suspended For Threatening To Magically Make Classmate Disappear With His “One Ring" :rasp:
All you really need to know about this story is that it happened in Texas. As everyone knows, Texas is one of the most dysfunctional states in the USA.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Magic Ring

Postby twister » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 am

CactusHugger: Actually that's kind of a funny story. I don't get upset about stories like this anymore because I realize that it's human to make mistakes. What I care about is that the children are kept safe and if every once in a while something like this happens, that's alright. The other kids could have been upset about being threatened and schools shouldn't put up with students threatening each other.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:48 am

How keyboards kill creativity: Handwriting dies out in US schools :sun:
Yes, handwriting is a skill that should be taught. No, not teaching handwriting will not kill creativity. There are many advantages to teaching cursive handwriting that make it worth the time it takes to teach students to write this way, but creativity develops in a lot of different ways and cursive handwriting is not essential to the development of creativity.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Cursive Handwriting

Postby twister » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:53 am

wildrose: I think penmanship is an important skill that students need to master and that means learning to write neatly in both printing and cursive. Keyboarding skills are also useful, but should not be thought of as a substitute for good penmanship. I really don't see why schools would even consider the possibility of not teaching cursive and if they're not going to do it during language arts time, there's no reason that cursive can't be taught as part of art in preparation for calligraphy projects.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Old Elementary Demolition

Postby tronagirl » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:32 am

Things are really happening now. The buildings are coming down quickly. I'd get sentimental and harp on how part of the history of this town is disappearing, but instead I think I'll focus on how nice things will look with that area all cleaned up!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News