TJUSD Board Meeting - March 11, 2015

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Yes We Can!

Postby shadylady » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:29 am

Recluse asked, "Do girls have what it takes to code?" Not knowing whether recluse is a male or a female and what his or her answer would be to the question, I'll just directly answer the question: Of course we can! The real question is whether or not we find it interesting enough to do and if the price is right and the incentives are there then more and more women will learn to code.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Yes We Can... Well Maybe...

Postby CoolChick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 am

shadylady: I'm with you most of the way, but I do think that males tend to think differently than females. That's not to say that some females aren't likely to be good coders, but my guess is that a higher percentage of males will have aptitude for that kind of thing, but there will still be plenty of females that have that aptitude just the same. So, I guess what I'm saying is that not everyone has the potential to become a good coder.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Coding Skills and Gender

Postby cactuspete » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:18 am

shadylady and CoolChick: I like to think on a more individual basis and not worry about gender so much when it comes to skills and talents. The truth is that individuals of both sexes possess the aptitude to become good software engineers. Some people have more talent and others have less, but there are plenty of people of both genders who have lots of talent. It's no concern of mine what proportion of males and females possess the potential to become good coders, but those who work hard and develop their talent deserve jobs regardless of their gender.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - March 11, 2015

Postby a2z » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Publishers Actively Monitoring Testing Students' Social Media Posts For Possible Cheating :wtf:
The outrage is that a test publisher (Pearson) is stalking kids online. The surprise is that a school administrator is the whistleblower exposing this activity. Usually school administrators have their heads stuck up the asses of the Educational Industrial Complex and would never dream of doing anything that might interfere with the brainwashing of students.
Major corporations are actively monitoring social media during standardized tests. This is being done to "protect" the "integrity" of test questions and answers. None of this is particularly surprising, other than the fact that a member of school administration was the one to blow the whistle on it.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150321/16310630398/publishers-actively-monitoring-testing-students-social-media-posts-possible-cheating.shtml
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:38 am

Publishers like Pearson are exactly what's wrong with education. They employ lobbyists who push for laws that require testing and laws that force schools to buy their textbooks and then they just sit back and make a ton of money. Education should be about educating kids, not about making private corporations rich. That's fundamentally what's wrong with education today and bureaucrats and politicians need to severe their ties to private corporations if any real reform is to ever take place.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Suit targets local school's bathroom rules
Yeah, I was one of those kids who used the restroom all the time to get out of class. A couple teachers I had wouldn't let me go as often as I wanted. They were the smart ones since they knew that I was gaming the system. Kids game the system all the time and everybody knows it. Probably fewer than one out of twenty requests to go to the restroom are based on a need to go to the restroom. The other nineteen are just kids wanting to get out of class so they can mess around for awhile.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:08 am

Ruling: Yoga can continue in Encinitas schools
People who are too stupid to distinguish between religion and exercise wasted a lot of time and money on this case. Yoga as done in the school is nothing more than exercise and has no religious ramifications. That's clear and obvious. Why are some people so stubbornly stupid?
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:43 am

Teachers Sent To Jail FOR DECADES?
As a retired teacher I 100% agree with what is said in this news clip. Did the bankers who crashed our economy get arrested and put on trial? Why is it that teachers, who may have cheated on standardized tests, get treated as criminals? They should probably lose their jobs, but they should not be imprisoned! The real problem is the system that makes standardized testing such a big deal. That's the real problem. Maybe the execs at Pearson (and other publishing companies that bilk school systems for millions) should be put on trial or the crooked politicians in D.C. who force these stupid tests on us should be arrested, put on trial, and put away for a long, long time!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:15 am

wildrose wrote:Teachers Sent To Jail FOR DECADES?
As a retired teacher I 100% agree with what is said in this news clip. Did the bankers who crashed our economy get arrested and put on trial? Why is it that teachers, who may have cheated on standardized tests, get treated as criminals? They should probably lose their jobs, but they should not be imprisoned! The real problem is the system that makes standardized testing such a big deal. That's the real problem. Maybe the execs at Pearson (and other publishing companies that bilk school systems for millions) should be put on trial or the crooked politicians in D.C. who force these stupid tests on us should be arrested, put on trial, and put away for a long, long time!

I'm not exactly a big Young Turks fan, but the female commentator's rant (from about 1:55 to 3:05) is outstanding and the guy follows up with a few intelligent comments of his own. Outstanding rant. Lots of truth in this video. Extra points for effective use of the F-bomb about half way through the rant!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:54 am

Nine-Year-Old Schools Board Members On Standardized Testing
If a nine-year-old gets it, why is it that so many bureaucrats, administrators, and board members don't get it? Standardized tests are the very definition of STUPID!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local News