TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2015

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2015

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:40 pm

The board meeting this evening may have set a record for being the shortest regular monthly board meeting ever. It started at 6:03 pm and was over at 6:21 pm. That's eighteen minutes! There was not a lot on the agenda and there wasn't much discussion. Sitting in the audience were three school employees and nobody else. There weren't many highlights, but I'll provide a quick summary of a few items of interest.

1) Weight Room - The weight room has been fixed up. One of the board members remarked that she was impressed.
2) Trona Alumni Dance - An alumni event is coming up. One of the board members provided some information about expected attendance and other details.
3) The Interim Superintendent announced that the school is fully staffed. There were a number of teacher positions that had to be filled over the summer and all vacancies were filled with qualified teachers.
4) Several new employees were approved including a substitute teacher, a classified substitute, a certificated employee, and an AVID tutor.
5) Some weight lifting equipment and a 1975 International Dump Truck were declared surplus. The weight lifting equipment will be sold as scrap metal for $500 and the dump truck (estimated value $200) will be put out to bid.
6) Closed special board meeting September 1st.
7) Next regular board meeting Thursday, September 10th, 2015.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2015

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Students head back to class :bubble:
School sure does start early nowadays. It's way to hot to be back in the classroom already!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:57 am

I've talked to a few parents and their kids here in town and all seem pretty excited about the first day of school coming up this Monday. The parents are glad that the kids will have something to do and the kids are excited to see friends they haven't seen over the summer. They've all stocked up on school supplies and some new clothes and can hardly wait for Monday morning!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 am

tronagirl: A lot of kids are bored and are looking forward to school starting back up. A lot of parents will be happy to have the kids out of the house for a few hours each day. A couple young ladies showed me the new clothes they picked up for the new school year and are pretty pleased with what they got. I think the boys are for the most part a little less excited about the new school year, but boys will be boys! haha
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:51 am

How Does Your Brain Learn To Read?
This quick clip provides a really good explanation of why the grades k through 3 are so important when it comes to kids learning how to read.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

BACK-TO-SCHOOL SHOPPING

Postby twister » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:31 am

I'd be willing to bet that half the town is out of town today taking their kids back-to-school shopping at one of the malls in Palmdale/Lancaster, Victorville, Ontario, or maybe even Las Vegas or somewhere else. I remember when I was a little girl how much fun it was to shop for clothes for the new school year. Probably even boys enjoy getting new clothes and then there's all the cool folders, notebooks, fancy pencils, and other school accessories. The start of the school year used to be so exciting!
:talk: :talk: :talk:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:05 am

School, Police Chief Must Face Lawsuit Brought By Student Suspended For 10 Days For Tweeting 'Actually, Yes'
I think the five day suspension was reasonable considering the possibility that an employee could lose her job over this kind of thing, but going beyond that is unreasonable. However, I think the school did have jurisdiction since the statement made by the student could have interfered with the teacher's ability to do her job. That being said, five days was the maximum that should have been given and going beyond that was just plain crazy. In fact, I think a couple days of detention would have sufficed.
Two words, delivered in jest, are now the focus of a civil rights lawsuit filed by a suspended student against his former school and, incredibly, the local police chief. There were a million ways this debacle could have been avoided, but the school district has decided doubling-down on its stupidity was the only way out of the mess it chose to create. After all, it won't lose much more than a bit of its reputation. If the plaintiff wins, it's taxpayers who will be footing the bill for the school's self-destructive, massively stupid overreaction.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150812/10170331924/school-police-chief-must-face-lawsuit-brought-student-suspended-10-days-tweeting-actually-yes.shtml
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TYT also discussed the story, but their discussion is close to being a total fail. Sometimes the TYT gang can be incredibly unintelligent.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 am

Back To School Outfit Ideas!
Lots of good ideas in the video. There's still time to get out and buy some stuff for the first day of school, but if you can't get out until next weekend (or maybe Labor Day weekend), then better late than never!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 am

What's In Our Backpacks 2015 | B&B Back to School
More ideas for more school stuff that you can probably live without, but rather wouldn't. (btw, these girls are getting close to TWO MILLION viewers and over 175 million views. That means they've probably made over $175,000 from their YouTube channel.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Back-To-School Shopping

Postby wildrose » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:17 am

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great that kids are excited about the first day of school and that parents purchase items for their children to make the first day of school even more special. My only concern is for those kids who come from homes where the parents can't afford to buy nice, new clothes or get school supplies for their kids. Kids from homes like that most likely feel deprived, left out, and probably a little jealous. It's sad that those kids have to deal with those feelings at such a young age.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News