ATV/ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby surfsteve » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am

I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm

surfsteve wrote:I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!

Now I like that! I still remember having to make that decision. Was the act I was thinking about doing worth the ass tanning I would get if things went wrong. Well we already knew the act was wrong but in other words if I got caught.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:53 pm

surfsteve wrote:I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!

Generally I agree, but when parents provide access to a vehicle and a problem occurs involving the vehicle being operated by the child, the parent is the problem. Just like gun owners are responsible for keeping guns secure and out of the hands of children, the same idea applies to vehicles. Other than that I agree that parents shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of their kids. Just don't provide tools which amplify any problems caused by the kids and we're all good.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 am

We might be on the same page. Not sure. If your kid goes into your room while you are sleeping and takes your keys to the gun safe or the car after you've taken reasonable precautions I don't think parents should be held responsible. Off road vehicles are different because they can easily be hot wired and none of the older ones when I was a kid ever even had keys. I guess my thinking dates back to then. I'm in favor of limiting the responsibility of the parents to a requirement of taking reasonable precautions and not hold them responsible for anything beyond that. I suppose we all have different ideas on what constitutes reasonable and we can go on arguing and keep this thread going for quite a while!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Deadly motorcycle accident in California City
Not a lot of info on this one other than that the kid died.
According to Cal City police, at approximately 4:15 PM police and fire departments responded to a remote area of California City for a reported motorcycle accident. The rider, a 15 year old, was transported to a local hospital but died of his injuries. According to witnesses, the young rider crossed over a trail and collided into the side of a side-by-side off road vehicle. The accident is still under investigation.

https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/deadly-motorcycle-accident-in-california-city
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 am

Man airlifted following ATV accident at Oceano Dunes
It's surprising that a non-fatal accident got any press coverage at all. Usually even the deaths don't get covered since they're so common.
He was airlifted to Marian Regional Medical Center for further treatment of his injuries. The man is from the SoCal Fullerton area. Park rangers say no one witnessed the accident and the rider was unable to give details of what happened. There have been multiple ATV accidents at the Oceano Dunes in the last two months including two deaths in April.

LINK: https://ksby.com/news/local-news/2019/05/25/man-airlifted-following-atv-accident-at-oceano-dunes
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 am

panamint_patty: The reason that particular incident got press coverage is because residents in the area are sick and tired of the riff raff that make the beach a very unpleasant place to be for normal people. They are building for a shutdown of off-road activities and there may be serious restrictions and enforcement for other behaviors also. Companies that sell off-road equipment talk safety, but they encourage dangerous behavior and they'll fight a shutdown of off-road activities here, but commonsense and reason still has a chance to prevail.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon May 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Don't Hope For A Miracle - Keep ATVs Off Roads
The statistics speak for themselves. Any parent who allows his or her child to ride an ATV on a paved road is a pathetically stupid piece of crap! Sorry, but like I said, the stats speak for themselves. I've been surprised by kids on ATVs a few times and although I would feel horrible if I ran over a kid on an ATV, I would file a lawsuit against the parents for putting me in that situation in the first place!
3,232 children have been killed while riding ATVs since 1982. This is for them, and the parents they left behind. Don't hope for a miracle. Keep your ATV off roads. Nearly one-third (32%) of reported deaths, or at least 770 deaths (during a four-year period from 2010 to 2013*), were related to incidents involving ATVs being ridden on paved roads or parking lots.

https://www.cpsc.gov/content/cpsc-urges-riders-to-keep-all-terrain-vehicles-off-roads-in-new-public-service-announcement
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue May 28, 2019 6:18 am

wildrose: The parents would deserve to be sued considering all the stress an accident involving a child would cause to any normal adult. But the other thing that occurs to me is that law enforcement would also face a potential lawsuit if they are allowing children to operate motorized vehicles on paved roads. Not only would that be negligence on their part, but it would also be derelection of duty.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue May 28, 2019 7:24 am

wildrose: Like you say, the statistics speak for themselves. And considering all the hysteria over school shootings, it makes no sense that people are so casual about allowing children to operate motorized vehicles and on paved roads no less. The chances of a child being killed while operating a motorized vehicle are about a thousand times greater than that same child being a victim of a school shooting. People who say it can't happen here are fooling themselves.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News