ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby shadylady » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:12 am

surfsteve: The big problem here is uninsured drivers. I think deathvalleyjake was mostly concerned about kids under fifteen, but you bring up another group of people who tend to be irresponsible and uninsured. You also mentioned parental liability in another post and my feeling is that parents should be fully liable for any traffic accidents that involve an under-age, uninsured child of theirs driving around on public roads. That seems like a no-brainer to me.
shadylady
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:40 am

Uninsured drivers are definitely a concern of mine and when motorized vehicles are being driven by someone without a driver's license I get a bit more concerned. Kids under fifteen can pedal around just fine. They need the exercise as do the rest of us, but there is no reason a kid under fifteen needs to be on a motorized vehicle and parents who allow that kind of thing are just encouraging laziness.
twister
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am

I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm

surfsteve wrote:I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!

Now I like that! I still remember having to make that decision. Was the act I was thinking about doing worth the ass tanning I would get if things went wrong. Well we already knew the act was wrong but in other words if I got caught.
Sparky of SoCal
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby recluse » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:52 pm

surfsteve wrote:I already said that I am not in favor of parents being held responsible for the actions of their kids. If you want to hold the parents responsible then you need to bring back corporal punishment. As it stands the state is responsible for not allowing parents to punish their kids when they do something extreme; so the state should be held responsible for what they do!

Generally I agree, but when parents provide access to a vehicle and a problem occurs involving the vehicle being operated by the child, the parent is the problem. Just like gun owners are responsible for keeping guns secure and out of the hands of children, the same idea applies to vehicles. Other than that I agree that parents shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of their kids. Just don't provide tools which amplify any problems caused by the kids and we're all good.
recluse
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 am

We might be on the same page. Not sure. If your kid goes into your room while you are sleeping and takes your keys to the gun safe or the car after you've taken reasonable precautions I don't think parents should be held responsible. Off road vehicles are different because they can easily be hot wired and none of the older ones when I was a kid ever even had keys. I guess my thinking dates back to then. I'm in favor of limiting the responsibility of the parents to a requirement of taking reasonable precautions and not hold them responsible for anything beyond that. I suppose we all have different ideas on what constitutes reasonable and we can go on arguing and keep this thread going for quite a while!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News