TJUSD Board Meeting - January 12, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 12, 2017

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:26 am

She certainly has her work cut out for her. I don't think she'll be as bad as the media and democrats are making her out to be. While the having guns in schools for bears was for sure a Sara Palin remark I do think the media took Betsy DeVos's comment about it out of context. She's definitely politically incorrect and lacks experience but she's an outsider who is for school choice and against common core; just like Trump wanted. I would have thought that Trump could have found someone who would have been better liked, who understood school politics, and still supported his goals but I guess the pickings were slim.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Mr. Trump once asked the blacks (googled and that is PC) what the hell to you have to lose by voting for him. That statement was based on how the average inner-city black’s life has gone backwards in recent years under Democratic leadership.
Our schools like wise have been going downhill for decades while the taxpayer has kept increasing more and more funding. Here in California somehow someway loads of Lottery money has also been added. There are obvious problems. When I was in school through the ’60 & ‘70’s everyone spoke the same language and teenage pregnancy was not a badge of honor. The “traditional” was pretty much in tack but starting to fall apart. There were still more stay at home moms. There was homework and it was hard. Schools have become like youth sports; you get a participation trophy. We have lowered standards to make school easy, it is pass or fail with fail a rarity because of the lowering standards. How much of the monies go towards the Teachers Unions and political donations? I don’t know for sure but where there is smoke there is fire.
So this gets me back to the “What the hell have we got to lose” by changing up the way we run our schools. The bar is set so low today I find it hard to improve. I’m not saying you can keep your same teacher moving forward but we have to do something.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Did you almost say "If you like your teacher you can keep her?" :funny: I love it!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:13 am

Sparky of SoCal: I'm a retired teacher and in regards to your question about how much of the money goes towards the Teachers Unions and political donations, I can give you an answer: NONE. Teacher Union dues are paid by teachers. It is normally deducted from their paychecks, but it is their money. As for almost everything else you said, I have to disagree, but you bring up too many issues - not all even directly related to education - for me to be reasonably expected to address. Let me just say this, our top students do every bit as well as the top students in any other school system in the world. A greater percentage of students attending major universities graduated from public schools than from private schools. We could be doing better and our biggest challenges are with low performing students, but that has more to do with our apathetic culture than with the quality of the educational OPPORTUNITIES available to students in public schools.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 am

Simple civil conversation. One subject.
I understand individual teachers are responsible for their personal union dues. I question what the union does with that money. I know what they should be doing, but I believe some of your dues money is used to fund politicians. I believe those bought politicians provide cover up for a broken system. Like the fox guarding the hen house. I think most teachers try their best to provide the best education they can with the resources they are provided. Some of those same teachers are not going to do anything to correct that issue when it comes to the ballot box. Thus the broken system never changes. I am retired from a corrupt building trades union doing the same thing. I am now having to manage the people the current system is spitting out and it is pathetic. It is embarrassing.
Why do we have a problem? Why is it we do not correct it? Why do we keep kicking the can down the road?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:26 am

The media paints Betsy DeVos as a lobbyist but they never say that she used her own money or that she has no financial interests in the things she is lobbying for.

In this episode of the Jimmy Dory show he claims that democrats are just as much to blame as the republicans and Betsy DeVos. It seems that charter schools are no better than public education and depending on who you ask may be even worse. At least they are some form of competition. Both have been taken over by greed and corruption. Public schools claim that giving money to charter schools is a way of defunding them but they completely overlook the fact that they have less children to teach and will still be getting the same amount of funding per child. What should be a reason to try harder is instead become an excuse for their failures. Get real. You want to improve education by taking away choice and forcing people to attend your schools? What is left out by both sides is home schooling. Last time I checked though it's been a while, home schooled students were clearly superior by leaps and bounds. Yet they are the most abused and persecuted and least talked about of the three. If you think it's bad now; how much worse would it be if schools had no competition at all? Clearly there is a problem with both public and charter schools. I just hope that Betsy DeVoss, assuming she gets in, goes after fixing the problems and doesn't spend her time playing politics. Like I said in my first post, she has her work cut out for her.

The Jimmy Dory Show: Cory Booker Defends Criticism Against Betsy DeVos
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

Let's just for a moment forget about "Charter" schools. I went to private schools along with my sisters. We were the only house in the neighborhood without carpet in the house because it was low priority. We walked to and from school because we were not permitted to ride the school bus that was picking up students literally right across the street because we did not attend that public school. After a civics class, maybe 7th grade I questioned why my parents paid for the bus in taxes and why I couldn’t use it. Pops told me not to worry about it because even though we were not reaping the benefits personally but the community was better for it because those less fortunate were reaping the benefits. He sold me then but I’m a taxpayer and I’m not buying it anymore. One more, my Lovely Bride has one grandkid that struggles in school. Low income single mom with no extra income (teachers aid). We pay the tuition to send that 1 of 4 kids to go to private school. Night and day difference. It would be nice if that mom could use the allotted monies dedicated to that one child to help defer the private school tuition. Is that unreasonable?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:31 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:Let's just for a moment forget about "Charter" schools. I went to private schools along with my sisters. We were the only house in the neighborhood without carpet in the house because it was low priority. We walked to and from school because we were not permitted to ride the school bus that was picking up students literally right across the street because we did not attend that public school

I'm not seeing an issue here. There's nothing stopping the private school from paying for a bus to transport students to school. Why should the public system subsidize private businesses? Was the private school affiliated with a religious organization? That would be even worse since public funds should not be used to promote religion.
Sparky of SoCal wrote:One more, my Lovely Bride has one grandkid that struggles in school. Low income single mom with no extra income (teachers aid). We pay the tuition to send that 1 of 4 kids to go to private school. Night and day difference. It would be nice if that mom could use the allotted monies dedicated to that one child to help defer the private school tuition. Is that unreasonable?

Private school fees are tax deductible. That's all the public support a parent sending their children to private schools is entitled to and that's all the public support they should receive. If it is a financial hardship to send a child to a private school, I see two reasonable options. Either the private school waves or reduces the fees (many private schools give scholarships) or the parent sends the child to the local public school. It's not rocket science and it's not the job of government to cater to the whims of private individuals, nor would that be a responsible use of public funds.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:37 am

This teacher has different handshakes with each student :roll2:
This is a neat gimmick and it might help this individual teacher to connect with his students. I'm sure some people watching fear that he might be connecting a little too much with his students, but I'd hesitate to jump to any conclusions in that regards. At any rate he seems like a nice guy, but he might be compensating for lack of real teaching skills by developing a strong rapport with his students.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 am

Inspiring ‘Handshake Teacher’ Gives TODAY Anchors Personalized Handshakes | TODAY
People really get excited about gimmicks, but not so much about solid academics. Our culture celebrates the wrong things and that's not the fault of public education at all. It's no wonder that so many kids do so poorly in school, but despite the celebrity culture the top 25% of students who go through the public school system can compete with the top 25% in any other country in the world and thank goodness for that! It's just sad that they are held back by a culture that doesn't give a darn. It's hard to overcome the inertia of our celebrity culture, but I'd give public schools an A for effort!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News