TJUSD Board Meeting - December 14, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - December 14, 2017

Postby mrgreen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Will new simulator game actually help reduce the number of shootings in US schools?
Probably not a real solution (or even slightly helpful), but at least it allows people to feel like they're doing SOMETHING.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 pm

27 fascinating maps that show how Americans speak English differently across the US
I had my share of picky teachers when I was growing up. There were grammar Nazis, spelling Nazis, and pronunciation Nazis. This particular link has to do with pronunciation differences between different parts of the USA. Some of the words in question include: soda/pop/coke, pecan, mayonnaise, pajamas, lawyer, and route.
LINK: http://www.businessinsider.com/american-english-dialects-maps-2018-1/#most-of-the-us-says-you-guys-while-southerners-say-yall-1
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:16 am

Other words that people pronounce differently depending on where they come from include: aunt, coupon, spigot, about, sorry, produce, tomato, February, envelope, prescription, herb, Iraq, Iran, kilometer, aluminum, neither, etc. The list goes on and on, but some of the differences are regional within the USA and some are differences between English speaking countries like Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am

shadylady: Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, and Pronunciation Nazis? I had teachers who were all of the above and worse. On the other hand I had some very good teachers too. I'm not saying that the assorted Nazis should be banished from teaching, but they should probably take it down a notch or two!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Previous

Return to Local News