TJUSD Board Meeting: August 09, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: THS Mural

Postby twister » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:53 am

I've heard mixed reviews regarding the mural. Some like it and some aren't exactly thrilled. The artist is pretty skillful, but the design barely has anything to do with Trona. He did add the image of Searles at the end, but what do the other gentlemen have to do with Trona?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildbill » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:38 am

Yes, it seems a little forced. Historical figures with no connection to the valley, but apparently someone was trying to kiss some politically correct ass. I'd have included an image of a crusty old miner and maybe some local Native Americans. No need to draw connections that don't exist. Keep it real and don't push political correctness into everything!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:34 am

I suspect that the problem is that the muralist has no knowledge of local history and had access to no advisors with that info either. He just slapped up a mural without doing his homework. Talent in one area doesn't confer talent in another area.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting: August 09, 2018

Postby tronagirl » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:30 am

DeVos clarifies her position on guns in schools
Not that this makes any difference in California since California would never allow teachers to carry guns at school.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 am

Facebook threat sends Murray Middle School into brief lockdown
Murray Middle School went into lockdown for approximately 30 minutes Wednesday morning after it received a threat on social media. “The school was made aware of a Facebook threat made by someone out of town toward Murray Middle School,” Sierra Sands Unified School District stated in a notification to parents and the community.

Even I know that using a VPN would mask location so that someone in town could have made it look like it was from out of town.
LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20180822/facebook-threat-sends-murray-middle-school-into-brief-lockdown
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Millions of Dumbfounded Dipshits
When I hear about topics such as "emotional intelligence" this line from a song by Tool always comes to mind. I always imagine all the dipshits gathering to hear their favorite guru speak on some ridiculously pseudo-intellectual topic. The guru always has books to sell and tons of followers (dipshits). The books are equal parts bullshit and common sense and the followers are a bunch of trainable idiots eager for some simple formula to make their lives better. There are enough common sense truisms in the mixture that to the unsuspecting eye the book seems to contain some message of value, but anyone with a little insight sees right through the bullshit.
It's a
Bullshit three ring circus sideshow

mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Emotional Intelligence and Other Bullshit

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:27 am

mrgreen: The f-bomb count in that song is pretty high, but it's an excellent song. True social commentary and quite relevant to this thread. I had to look up the bit about Arizona Bay and I should have realized it was a reference to California falling into the ocean. Not likely to ever happen, but the song makes an important point! I think that a school that pushes this emotional intelligence bullshit could really drive certain kids over the edge. Seriously over the edge!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Emotional Intelligence and F-Bombs

Postby cactuspete » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 am

wildrose and I conferred regarding the video posted by mrgreen. We received word that friends of forum members thought the video was inappropriate. After reviewing the thread, wildrose and I agreed to allow the video to remain. If YouTube doesn't have an age restriction on the video, then it makes no sense to censor it here. Also mrgreen rather eloquently explained why he felt the video was relevant. Therefore, the video will not be removed by us from this thread.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News