Buying groceries in Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Buying groceries in Trona

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Apparently the Family Dollar will be closing permanently. I can't continue giving people rides to Ridgecrest to buy groceries. Does anyone have any suggestions for how people without transportation can get groceries?

I thought Walmart delivered but I called this morning and they said they didn't. But they do have a program where you can go online and place an order to be picked up.

Does anybody deliver out here? Seems like there's a job opening for somebody with a car!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Buying groceries in Trona

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:25 pm

surfsteve: I think that there's a program for seniors where someone drives them in a van to Ridgecrest. I recall hearing something about something like that. I'm sure some of the churches help out with rides too.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:37 am

There's always Amazon. They deliver just about anything you can get from Walmart. I've even seen frozen food and fresh produce for sale on Amazon. I know people who spend more on stuff from Amazon than on stuff from brick and mortar establishments. It's amazing what you can get that way. When you figure the amount you save on gas, oil changes, car payments, etc., the cost of shipping is not a bad deal!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:41 am

AmazonFresh: Farm to Fresh :pac:
I don't know if this service is available everywhere, but Amazon is getting serious about putting grocery stores out of business!!!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 am

I was all excited till I found out that video was from 2014.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:43 am

AMAZON FRESH: There's something called Amazon Fresh, but it's only available in certain cities and the cost is $15/month. But even without Amazon Fresh, there are still tons of groceries for sale on Amazon. Just watch the price. Sometimes the prices are the same in grocery stores and other times they are wildly expensive. Lots of inconsistency between items and even with the same item over time. Buyer beware!

And, of course, an annual subscription to Amazon Prime is necessary. I think that fee is $119 per year. Not a great deal and that might keep people with low income from participating, but if you don't have a car and you live in an isolated desert town, then it might be the best option available.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 am

When I checked into Amazon Pantry a few years back it was quite expensive and that was in addition to the 119.00 a year you had to pay for Amazon Prime. Plus they don't deliver any fresh food. So I'd say it's a bust. Also most of the people that don't have cars are on food stamps which Amazon didn't take at the time. I doubt they do now either.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Petition Your Family Dollar Store

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 am

I heard that the Family Dollar store is intending on closing for good and that the only way it will re open is if the community of Trona petitions the home office to let them know how desperately the store is needed.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 am

Does anybody remember what it was like trying to buy groceries in Trona before the Family Dollar opened? Seems to me that since it opened Trona has become successful and really grown and that we need a "real" grocery store that doesn't gouge prices if this town is to succeed again after the earthquake.

Right now the churches are taking up most of the slack but they don't have that many items and I don't know how long that will be. Perhaps they might consider expanding by opening a semi-permanent store and selling items from Walmart at cost.

What this town desperately needs is a dependable store that people who can't afford to drive can go to to buy groceries. I'm afraid that without it people will move out and eventually other businesses will close and maybe even the school will consider busing students to Ridgecrest.

What about subsidizing a store? Or asking the government to help get the Family Dollar back on it's feet? It would only take a small fraction of what has already been spent on the earthquake to do something like that and it would really benefit the community.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am

Yesterday I saw a whole bunch of work trucks parked over at the Family Dollar. Does anybody know what is going on there? It looks like they might be going to reopen it back up after all. I sure hope so. We really need a reasonably priced grocery and dry goods store in this town!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News