TJUSD Board Meeting - November 14, 2019

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ALICE BS

Postby shadylady » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am

Making money off people's fears is pretty pathetic. I checked out the ALICE organization and it's pretty obvious that the only good advice they provide is just plain commonsense and the rest of what they offer is just plain horse shit! Gullible people pay for worthless products like this and there goes more tax money being wasted on a whole lot of nothing!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 14, 2019

Postby camel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Why active shooter training didn’t help in the Florida high school shooting
As already noted in an earlier post, ALICE training actually made the Florida shooting worse. The shooter used it to his advantage to achieve a higher body count.
And some training can do more harm than good. The approaches that have been developed in recent years to give staff more flexibility than a lockdown response are generally referred to as "options-based" approaches. "Run, hide, fight" is a well-known example of the options-based approaches. Dorn said people who have been trained in options-based approaches "consistently perform worse than people with no training whatsoever" in Safe Haven's more than 7,500 simulations in 40 states.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/16/active-shooter-training-florida/343641002/
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 am

camel: Sometimes people get lucky and sometimes they don't. All the training in the world won't change that. It's a falacy to think that this ALICE training will protect anyone. In fact, it's obvious that it can sometimes make things worse! But stupid people will buy into anything which offers hope and cynical people are always ready to take advantage anytime opportunity knocks!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 am

This Atomwaffen neo-nazi group sounds more like something that someone made up than something that's for real. They supposedly are inspired by both Adolph Hitler and Charles Manson. I'm not saying that there is no such group, but the group even if fictious serves as a great prop for profiteers trying to take advantage of people's fears. Just sayin....
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby shotgunmary » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 am

The school should just stick to teaching and not go off on wild goose chases. Having a good system in place to keep inmates -- I mean students -- safe is essential, but spending all sorts of time discussing things that are outside academic topics is not a good use of time and a complete waste of taxpayer money!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby ergot » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:53 pm

‘Girls Make Games’: Changing the gender bias of gaming
PURE STUPIDITY! Currently there are about 50 likes and about 500 dislikes and a bunch of funny comments:
commie girl power BS

This is so toxic. Quality is all that matters, not the gender of the creator.

Yes, throw boys under the bus, and give up endless resources to make girls do something they are otherwise meh about. What a winning move, Western society.

Let's ban urinals it's discriminatory, boys should me made to sit to urinate cause obviously girls can't do it standing.

When was gaming a boys only thing ? It's like saying fashion is only for women

We don’t need any games about cooking and cat hoarding

Women complaining about equal access to technology in 2019 is like a fish complaining about equal access to water. It's just stupid.

ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:27 am

ergot: Well the likes are up to over 100 and the dislikes are up to 1100. Not surprising except that usually Fox doesn't post crap like this.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:09 am

sandman wrote:ergot: Well the likes are up to over 100 and the dislikes are up to 1100. Not surprising except that usually Fox doesn't post crap like this.

And that seems to indicate that there are ten smart people who don't automatically agree with media BS for every stupid person who does. The strange thing is that it seems like most of our politicians belong to the stupid group.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:49 am

Scary School Story - Scary Story Animated
This is kind of dumb. I could see putting poison in the cookie, but razor blades just wouldn't work! Either way it's evil, but putting razor blades in a cookie doesn't really seem like it would do much of anything. I usually break a large cookie in half before I take a bite and a small cookie wouldn't be big enough to conceal much of anything. Just doesn't add up!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:34 am

tronagirl: It's not really believable that the teacher would even seriously consider eating the cookie. Most teachers would either nicely refuse to take the cookie in the first place or they'd say that they are saving it for later, throw it away, and tell the kid how delicious the cookie was. Sure it's dishonest, but I believe that's what's known as a white lie. Teachers tell white lies all the time. It's called encouraging, supporting, cheering up, inspiring, motivating, etc. To be a good teacher, one must be a good liar!
:yup:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News