TJUSD BOARD MEETING - July 09, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD BOARD MEETING - July 09, 2020

Postby cloud » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:57 pm

wildrose wrote:Is it safe to reopen schools as coronavirus cases surge?
The answer is that it is definitely not safe, but the question should be:
How risky is it?
There definitely is a risk and the risk is fairly high and so the next question should be:
Is reopening schools worth the risk?
The most reasonable answer to that question would be:
Probably not.

Considering reports about the new strain in Texas, I'd say that it would be insanely irresponsible to even consider reopening schools at this point. Schools have been described as germ factories and with this new highly contagious strain of the virus out there, schools would accelerate the spread, making a bad situation worse and putting a lot of kids in harm's way in the process.
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby ziggy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:18 pm

sandman wrote:
tronagirl wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote: He presented ideas for a "blended approach" where Pioneer Point students attend classes in person two days a week and the rest of the town will attend classes on two different days in order to keep number of students in classroom simultaneously to a minimum. The fifth day will be distance learning for all. Daily attendance required.

So you're saying that the kids from the "good" side of town will all attend school two days a week and the kids on the "bad" side of town will attend on two different days per week. In other words, the "good" kids will be kept separate from the "bad" kids. Isn't there a word for that? Let's see here.... I do believe it's....
SEGREGATION

As long as it's not segregation by race, I don't think the school district would be in trouble and in order to figure that one out we'd have to see a breakdown of the demographics for the different sections of town. My guess is that racially speaking the distribution of different racial groups is about even throughout the different parts of town. However, I'm sure that household income would show a clear disparity. We all know that academic achievement is highly correlated with household income and so what you would have as a result is some form of both academic and socioeconomic segregation. Probably not a legal problem under the circumstances, but I could see more than a few parents not being too happy about it.

I'd be pissed if my friends were going on a different day than me. I'd be totally pissed!
ziggy
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby twister » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:42 am

ziggy: You're right. To kids that's a big deal. If you have a friend who goes on different days than you, then that means that you are separated from that person four days a week. If you're a jealous teenage boy and your gf goes different days than you, the idea that other boys might be trying to pick up on her might make your jealousy worse than if you were there to see what was going on. But even for little kids being separated from best friends could be stressful.

The other thing is that this two days a week thing doesn't help parents much, if at all.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby torn80 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:08 am

twister: Good point about bf/gf situations, but you know darn well that your typical school counselor or administrator will insist that school is not the place for that kind of thing anyways. They'll even throw in the standard line about it being an opportunity to develop new friendships, which is about the most boneheaded thing you could possibly say considering the jealous boyfriend situation!
:laugh:
torn80
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Who exactly came up with this boneheaded idea to split the kids into two groups based on where they live? And what is up with this "hybrid" stuff? Either do school like normal or go the distance learning route. This "hybrid" stuff is like the worst of both worlds. If you want a disaster, then I think "hybrid" is the perfect plan to get there!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm

TWO LARGEST SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN CALIFORNIA GOING DISTANCE LEARNING ONLY IN THE FALL
We're at the beginning of the growth curve. We ain't seen nothing yet!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:21 am

camel: All indications are that you're right when you say: We ain't seen nothing yet. Things are bad and they're expected to get much worse. Schools are germ factories. Reopening schools would be about the most foolhardy thing we could possibly do. Talk about sowing the seeds of disaster!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Coronavirus: LAUSD will not resume in-person classes when school year begins Aug. 18
Skip to about forty seconds. Whoever posted the video didn't make sure it was properly edited before uploading it. Other than that, this video is really good. It's a good no bullshit presentation free of politics. Just the facts.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:48 am

Symptom list for COVID-19 has been expanded
Reportedly schools planning on live, in-person classes are asking students and staff to self-screen and to stay home if they have any covid-19 symptoms. The problem with that is that the list of covid-19 symptoms is expansive and includes: chest congestion, temperature, nasal congestion, sore throat, upset stomach, diarrhea, and general body aches. (Additionally, swollen testicles and chest pain are two less common symptoms which have been added to the list.) If staff and students take this literally, then they would be expected to stay home quite frequently, which could be more than just a little problematic, it seems to me. Add to this the fact that people can spread the virus long before symptoms ever appear and it seems ridiculous to even consider in-person education at this time.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 am

People worry about the effect of kids not going to school in the normal way.
Well, how does long term brain damage grab ya?
Scientists warn of potential wave of COVID-linked brain damage
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brains/scientists-warn-of-potential-wave-of-covid-linked-brain-damage-idUSKBN24837S
I think we can put up with distance learning for a few more months....
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News