TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2020

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

The entire meeting lasted about twenty minutes. All five board members were present. Four were wearing masks and one was not wearing a mask. The superintendent wore a mask. (No one else appeared on camera.)

1) Superintendent's Report - Stated that first day of school went well and thanked all staff for working hard.
2) Maintenance Report - Update on construction projects.
3) Principal's Report - Some tech issues on first day, but mostly the day went well.
4) Public Comment - Retired teacher made the recommendation that health and safety of students and staff be a priority. Stated that the short and long-term effects of COVID-19 are poorly understood. Stated that reopening schools should not be considered to be more important than keeping people alive. Also stated that although students may fall behind a bit academically during the distance learning phase, that there is no reason that students can't catch back up to where they would have been.
5) Agreement with hospital in Ridgecrest to provide TB tests approved by school board.
6) Contract with Classified Union approved.
7) Red Cross agreement to allow organization to use campus during emergencies.
8) Storage cabinets ordered for use in temporary classrooms which lack adequate storage areas.
9) Update on county COVID status. Currently still on restricted list and waivers applied for.
FUTURE MEETING: September 10th
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - August 13, 2020

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm

CDC predicts up to 200,000 coronavirus deaths by Labor Day
Wise advice from the retired teacher during public comments.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:36 am

Schools and universities struggle with reopening plans during pandemic
Why tempt fate? Do what is safe until the threat has passed. Otherwise lives are put at risk. Academic loses are temporary and can be made up. Once a person is dead there is no bringing that person back.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby rainbow » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:24 am

The two propaganda items I found to be most obviously false:
1) children can't spread the virus
2) learning losses are permanent
The second I heard these two assertions I knew I was listening to a fool or a liar. They are so obviously false that only a fool would believe either of these statements.
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby torn80 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:26 am

blackturtle.us wrote:The entire meeting lasted about twenty minutes. All five board members were present. Four were wearing masks and one was not wearing a mask. The superintendent wore a mask. (No one else appeared on camera.)

I watched a few minutes of the video carefully to make sure the dipshit wasn't wearing one of those masks that might blend in with his face. I wanted to be fair and not jump to conclusions only to be wrong. The video quality wasn't the best, but there's no denying that the moron wasn't wearing a mask and you can see the other board members on either side of him moved as far away from him as they could. What kind of irresponsible imbecile shows up at a board meeting without a mask and how did such an arrogant fool wind up on a public school board? How is it that the other board members did not vote to censor him? That makes the whole bunch of them look like complete idiots!
torn80
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 am

High schools and colleges scramble to contain coronavirus outbreaks
Many people are in way too much of a hurry to get back to normal. The virus isn't going away anytime soon.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:11 pm

torn80 wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:The entire meeting lasted about twenty minutes. All five board members were present. Four were wearing masks and one was not wearing a mask. The superintendent wore a mask. (No one else appeared on camera.)

I watched a few minutes of the video carefully to make sure the dipshit wasn't wearing one of those masks that might blend in with his face. I wanted to be fair and not jump to conclusions only to be wrong. The video quality wasn't the best, but there's no denying that the moron wasn't wearing a mask and you can see the other board members on either side of him moved as far away from him as they could. What kind of irresponsible imbecile shows up at a board meeting without a mask and how did such an arrogant fool wind up on a public school board? How is it that the other board members did not vote to censor him? That makes the whole bunch of them look like complete idiots!

That guy is one hell of a piece of work! Some friends and I got together this evening and we had a long discussion. Part of the time we talked about this guy and his family and their issues and there are a lot of them. Quite awhile back I heard about a big meeting at the school. It was supposed to be a meeting of just union members, but there were eavesdroppers and so a lot of people heard about what went on at the meeting. Apparently the board member who wasn't wearing a mask has a daughter who many people say is a bit of a wack job to put it bluntly and many say that the older son isn't much better. According to the stories I've heard (and they seem quite credible, but technically are just rumors) the daughter falsely accused a teacher of improper touching, there were also issues with accusing teachers of making mistakes on grading and treating the son and daughter unfairly, and on top of that the son was allegedly caught with drugs at school and assaulted a school employee in order to prevent the evidence from being confiscated. Somehow that incident got turned around and there was supposed to be a lawsuit against the school employee for assaulting the son even though the son was a big strong football player and the school employee was a middle-aged woman. So, obviously not wearing a mask is a pretty trivial issue compared to the other issues that this prominent member of the community has and for more on that you might check out some of the recent comments made in the NEIGHBORS thread which might help explain why many people say that the daughter is a wack job. Of course, this is all just speculation, but 2+2=4 as they say and so I'll leave that one alone....

But getting back to the eavesdroppers. The school has an intercom system as does most schools and certain people apparently have a nasty little habit of invading the privacy of other employees in order to capture little tidbits of information they can gossip about. As it turns out the board member we are discussing has a brother who works at the school and he has a group of shall we say "flying monkeys" who are his close confidants. Apparently they shared what they heard with him and since then endless retaliation has been the outcome. It's been a lot of little things, but a lot of friction has developed at the school as a result.

If you're unfamiliar with the term "flying monkeys" you should check out this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_monkeys_(popular_psychology)
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:39 am

tronagirl: Here's part of what I wrote in the Neighbors thread:
"The crazy thing is that not only has he encouraged his daughter to make accusations against school staff, but he has actually told friends of his daughter that making accusations against teachers is a good way to get out of work. There is another troubling issue involving possible litigation, but I won't go into that."
There are obvious issues with this and when a board member engages in this sort of activity the issues are even more serious. Although this is all just hearsay, the people I've talked to are pretty close to the epicenter of this little disaster and so I think these allegations are fairly credible. What I've heard about the litigation is a bit more speculative, but the basic story is as you tell it and I've heard speculation about various outcomes. One story is that the boy served a few weeks in a juvenile detention facility. Another is that he got off with community service. Yet another goes in a completely different direction and claims that the family received a financial settlement from the school district in order to avoid litigation. In this crazy world any of these things are possible, but I think most people would agree that exploiting one's own children in this manner is reprehensible and that these alleged events should not just be swept under the rug.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:41 pm

tronagirl wrote:If you're unfamiliar with the term "flying monkeys" you should check out this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_monkeys_(popular_psychology)

That's a really good term for the concept! :laugh:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:28 am

tronagirl wrote: So, obviously not wearing a mask is a pretty trivial issue compared to the other issues that this prominent member of the community has and for more on that you might check out some of the recent comments made in the NEIGHBORS thread which might help explain why many people say that the daughter is a wack job. Of course, this is all just speculation, but 2+2=4 as they say and so I'll leave that one alone....

Having reviewed the statements made in the NEIGHBORS thread, I'd say that there's a pretty obvious reason why the daughter might be a wack job! Girls who are molested by their fathers tend to have psychological problems. They also tend to be highly likely to make false allegations against other men. It's a coping mechanism. Although their thinking is dysfunctional and logically deficient by normal standards, they are trying to prove to themselves that a) other men are just as bad as daddy, and b) daddy's behavior is sort of normal and not so perverted after all when compared to the behavior of other guys. Obviously I'm doing a little bit of armchair psychoanalyzing here, but assuming what others have said and putting two and two together, I think what I've said is pretty plausible. Just as obviously, it's possible that others are mistaken in their assertions and in that case there are other possible explanations which might come to bear, but that's always the case when dealing with an incomplete and possibly inaccurate data set.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News