TJUSD School Board Meeting - January 10, 2013

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD School Board Meeting - January 10, 2013

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Not a lot of people in attendance at this very brief meeting, which lasted only twenty-eight minutes!

1. Superintendent's Report - David Olney reviewed a long list of maintenance items which were completed during Winter Break. He also stated that bus cameras will be installed January 24th. Further he talked some about an update for the Emergency Procedure Guide. Updates include revisions to evacuation maps and procedures to be followed during a range of emergency situations. He added that some attention will be focused on prevention programs and support systems. John Ciani (reporter for the Daily Independent) asked if law enforcement will be consulted regarding this plan and Olney answered affirmatively.

2. Lana McCullar - addressed the board regarding the upcoming Trona Town Centennial scheduled for March of 2014. The Trona Historical Society is organizing this event and Lana wanted to make sure that the school district is aware of this upcoming event and takes advantage of any opportunities to participate. After the meeting I talked to Lana briefly and she informed me that the official date that Trona became an actual town is based on the establishment of the local post office. Before this time there was a settlement, but the establishment of the post office is the best benchmark indicating that the settlement had become a town.

3. Other agenda items included the retirement of Charles Gillespie and the hiring of a few new people.

4. Next regular meeting: Thursday, February 14, 2013. Open session 6:00 p.m.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD School Board Meeting - January 10, 2013

Postby a2z » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

blackturtle.us wrote:2. Lana McCullar - addressed the board regarding the upcoming Trona Town Centennial scheduled for March of 2014. The Trona Historical Society is organizing this event and Lana wanted to make sure that the school district is aware of this upcoming event and takes advantage of any opportunities to participate. After the meeting I talked to Lana briefly and she informed me that the official date that Trona became an actual town is based on the establishment of the local post office. Before this time there was a settlement, but the establishment of the post office is the best benchmark indicating that the settlement had become a town.

So are we to conclude from this that a town isn't a town without a post office? What happens if they close the post office in Trona? Is Trona then no longer a town?
:wtf:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

CactusHugger wrote:Talk about messed up parents! I recall a bus driver when I was a kid telling a boy to "tie it in a knot" and wait until we reached our destination. We were on a long trip and the boy had to wait about an hour. It was obvious that he was feeling quite a lot of distress over the matter too! He survived and I'm pretty sure he's not scarred for life! These parents are just trying to get rich by suing the school. People who try to make money this way should have their kid taken away and they should be locked up!
:smack:

:laugh:
I recall something similar to that happening on a bus trip for a sports event when I was in high school. On top of that I still remember everyone complaining about it being unfair, but thinking it was funny at the same time. I won't say the name of the bus driver, but I think a lot of people know who she might be!!!! I'm completely sure that no one would have even thought about suing her or the school for that and most people liked her a lot except for those people she yelled at and when she got mad she could yell like crazy!!!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Schools looking at safety plans
I'd imagine that pretty much every school across the nation says they're doing the same. The public expects some kind of a response and so schools are "looking at" their safety plans all across the USA.
Reporting to the Trona Joint Unified School District Board of Trustees Thursday, Superintendent David Olney said he provided the district management team a draft update of the emergency procedure guide. “It’s partially modeled after a model emergency plan, so my management team is reviewing the updates I’ve been working on this week,” he said. He said the updates include new evacuation maps and some new procedures.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20130111/NEWS/130119923
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrgreen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

sandman wrote:Schools looking at safety plans
I'd imagine that pretty much every school across the nation says they're doing the same. The public expects some kind of a response and so schools are "looking at" their safety plans all across the USA.
Reporting to the Trona Joint Unified School District Board of Trustees Thursday, Superintendent David Olney said he provided the district management team a draft update of the emergency procedure guide. “It’s partially modeled after a model emergency plan, so my management team is reviewing the updates I’ve been working on this week,” he said. He said the updates include new evacuation maps and some new procedures.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20130111/NEWS/130119923

And let us not forget the bogus drills that the students will be forced to endure! There will be a ton of empty verbiage and lots of pointless drills in response to the shooting in Connecticut, but none of it will have any real effect other than to pacify the public and convince them that SOMETHING is being done!!!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Inyo Sheriff talks school security
Everything I've heard indicates that counseling programs targeting apparently troubled children usually do more harm than good. The child begins to believe that he or she is somehow defective. Why else would they have been selected? A bigger problem is that the type of person who goes into counseling usually is exactly the kind of person you don't want interacting with children. Mental health workers are often more wacko than the people they are supposedly "helping"!
The Sheriff also emphasized the importance of identifying kids who have issues – loners, bullyism and mood changes. He said this means training for teachers and staff. At this week’s meeting, Lutze said Inyo Mental Health Psychologist Gail Zwear discussed a profile of a troubled kid, how to notify authorities and how to respond. Superintendent McAteer had earlier said that a counseling program currently works with 100 local families.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/16349/inyo-sheriff-talks/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:07 am

Little Girl Forced to Pee While Riding School Bus
This is about the most ridiculous lawsuit I've ever heard of. If bus drivers stopped every time a kid had to pee buses would always be late! Seriously! The commentators in this clip took the wrong side and they appear to be totally out of touch with reality. Talk about having a hissy fit over nothing!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

panamint_patty wrote:Little Girl Forced to Pee While Riding School Bus
This is about the most ridiculous lawsuit I've ever heard of. If bus drivers stopped every time a kid had to pee buses would always be late! Seriously! The commentators in this clip took the wrong side and they appear to be totally out of touch with reality. Talk about having a hissy fit over nothing!

Talk about messed up parents! I recall a bus driver when I was a kid telling a boy to "tie it in a knot" and wait until we reached our destination. We were on a long trip and the boy had to wait about an hour. It was obvious that he was feeling quite a lot of distress over the matter too! He survived and I'm pretty sure he's not scarred for life! These parents are just trying to get rich by suing the school. People who try to make money this way should have their kid taken away and they should be locked up!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:36 am

First World Problems
This video was made for situations like this! The parents of this girl have done her a tremendous disservice. They have taught her that she should make mountains out of molehills and that it's okay to file trivial lawsuits. These parents (and others like them) are the real problem.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am

a2z wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:2. Lana McCullar - addressed the board regarding the upcoming Trona Town Centennial scheduled for March of 2014. The Trona Historical Society is organizing this event and Lana wanted to make sure that the school district is aware of this upcoming event and takes advantage of any opportunities to participate. After the meeting I talked to Lana briefly and she informed me that the official date that Trona became an actual town is based on the establishment of the local post office. Before this time there was a settlement, but the establishment of the post office is the best benchmark indicating that the settlement had become a town.

So are we to conclude from this that a town isn't a town without a post office? What happens if they close the post office in Trona? Is Trona then no longer a town?
:wtf:

It does seem kind of arbitrary to use the date that the post office was established as the date on which the town was recognized as a bonified town, but it's hard to come up with a better date to use for historical purposes. You raise a good question about when a town is no longer a town. Does Ballarat still count as a town? What about Darwin?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local News