Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 am

Smoke ain't gonna be good for the lungs no matter what and they say anyone who lives long enough will eventually get cancer. Our constant exposure to carcinogens no doubt increases the cancer rate, but there are plenty of natural carcinogens. Cancer was for all intents and purposes unknown hundreds of years ago because most people died before they were forty and cancer was not recognized as cancer most of the time, it was just some strange sickness. And besides, there are lots of different kinds of cancer which would not be recognized as belonging to a single category of sickness.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 am

I've been led to believe that we used to live nearly as long since recorded history as we do now and that the reason life expectancy has gone so high these days is because so many infants and mothers died in childbirth and that the infants death was recorded among the statistics. Supposedly if you lived past childbirth you could expect to live nearly as long as you do now.

Is it true?I don't know. I do know that the medical establishment has more than a hundred year track record of being wrong more often then they are right. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the chemicals in tobacco along with the chemicals in our food as having nothing to do with negative health if I were you. I think it's definitely worth more consideration.

At the very least they influence how much people consume. Science suggests that they have more to do with it than that and also alter the hormones in our bodies. I do think that the introduction of highly processed vegetable oils has been overlooked and believe the video I posted that says studies on them have been fudged.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Score one for plant based diet.

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:54 am

I just came across this video and never heard of this guy before... I did some digging. Was curious to find out how old he was which I found out in the second video. I think you'll be shocked when you find out his age... I think I'll be listening to him a lot more from now on! WOW!

The Number One Best Plant You Can Eat with Brian Clement, Ph.D., L.N.

Brian Clement, How Old Are You, Is That Your Real Hair and Hair Color, Do You Wear Contacts?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am

While I agree that infant mortality would skew lifespan statistics considerably, I think that even if those deaths were eliminated we'd be talking about considerably shorter lives on average. The average age of death now is something like about 75 years and thoughout most of history it was certainly less than 50 years. There were affluent civilizations that flourished under favorable conditions where people lived longer, but hunters and gatherers probably didn't do very well, especially those living in harsh environments, despite anything the paleo crowd might tell you.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:06 am

Thought this was a cute video. I felt Jordan Peterson was onto something when he was on a meat and greens diet but it seems he's gone a little too far. Willing to keep an open mind though; but I got a feeling his fantastic results were because he'd only been on it for such a short time...

Jordan Peterson’s Carnivore Diet – SHOULD YOU TRY IT?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 am

Carnivore Diet: I saw another video a couple weeks ago in which Peterson talks about this. He said something about his sister being allergic to just about every plant-based food and the only way she got relief from her medical issues was by switching to an all meat diet. That sounds ridiculous to me, but anything is possible. It seems extremely unlikely to me that a person could be allergic to every plant, but if that were the case I suppose there wouldn't be much choice other than to go with an all meat diet.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 am

All Meat Diet: Generally Peterson seems like a reasonable guy, but this video makes him look like a nutjob. He makes sense when he talks about psychology, but this all meat crap is just pure nonsense. Long term an all meat diet will mess anyone up even someone who has numerous plant allergies. There will always be some plants that will not cause a problem.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:16 am

As much as I enjoy a good steak or fried chicken or you name it when it comes to meat, I don't think I'd enjoy an all meat diet. It just doesn't sound appealing and wouldn't a person wind up constipated on such a diet? Without some kind of roughage to keep things moving, it seems that the pipes would get clogged and that a painful backup would take hold. Just sayin...
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 am

Painful backup indeed! Constipation does seem quite likely and an all meat diet just sounds like it would get really old really fast. I could drink nothing but water the rest of my life and not really feel like I was missing out, but I could not eat nothing but meat and remain satisfied for long!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

I don't support Jordan Peterson living off the diet long term. I don't think the all meat diet is something I would want to live off of for the rest of my life but I think it is useful as an elimination diet. Since I been on it I been gradually adding more plant based things back, one thing at a time, every few days. So far nothing has triggered inflammation but obviously something was. Got a feeling that I'll know it soon enough, once I add it back in. So far so good!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips