Tree Care

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Tree Care

Postby wildrose » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Tree limb drop season hits Sacramento
Oaks, willow, elm, ash, and eucalyptus are particularly susceptible to limb drop during the summer months.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Tree Care

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 am

Common Pest and Disorders of Desert Trees
If you have a palo verde in your yard, you might want to keep an eye open for these nasty insects!
Palo Verde Borers are root borers and are rarely seen above ground in the larval form. The adult form is a very large (3" to 6" long with antennae nearly as long as their bodies) conspicuous, dark brown cockroach looking beetle. Adults are active July through October. Immature larvae feed on living roots of Parkinsonia (Cercidium) (Mexican Palo Verde) and other non-native trees. Larvae spend up to three to four years underground feeding on roots. Over a 7 to 10 year period Palo Verde Borers will gradually kill a tree. The Palo Verde Borer larvae are large up to five inches long, grayish white to cream colored, with a large, distinct head regions and thick body.

http://www.aridzonetrees.com/common-pest-and-disorders-of-desert-trees-dt.html
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:51 am

Early January is the best time to prune trees. Late December is acceptable too, but this winter has been fairly warm so far and so I'm waiting until after January 1st.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 am

Thanks for the reminder! I haven't decided if I should do it myself or hire someone. My yard could use a good tidying up in general and I'm old, but we'll see...
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 am

4 Winter gardening tasks
1) Mulching
2) Pruning
3) Lawn Mower
4) Feed Birds
People in Ridgecrest care about number three on the list, but people in Trona not so much. Feeding birds is optional, but one and two are imperative!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 am

Trimming your vitex trees...
Different trees, different techniques, but it's important to do your trimming during the dormant season!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 am

A Quick Pruning Tip For Pomegranate Tree
A lot of people in the high desert have pomegranates.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:32 am

What happened to the pomegranate video? Seems like videos disappear all the time on YouTube. I can't imagine that a video about pruning pmengranate trees could be very controversial. But then again strange things happen on YouTube all the time.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Desert Gardening Tips