Mexican Evening Primrose

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Mexican Evening Primrose

Postby wildrose » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 am

Mexican Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa)
One of my all-time favs. They grow nicely out here in the desert and they produce incredibly attractive flowers. I've noticed that a few people have them in their front yards, but it would be nice to see more of them! They're easy to grow and care for. I recommend them highly!
:sun:
Thumbnail Image
MORE INFO: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/236/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Mexican Evening Primrose

Postby CoolChick » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Oenothera speciosa
This page says that they will "tolerate afternoon part shade" but the question is if they can handle scorching temperatures! I've seen some growing around the area and they seem to do okay.
Easily grown in average, dry to medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates some afternoon part shade and drought. Also tolerates poor soils. Soils should have good drainage. Easily grown from seed sown outdoors in fall or early spring. Plants will spread, sometimes aggressively, by rhizomes and self-seeding to form large colonies.

LINK: http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/d238/oenothera-speciosa.aspx
Here's a place selling the seeds:
http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/985?actionName=flower_seed_categories&itemname=OENOTHERA+%27PINK+PETTICOATS%27
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:11 am

I visited a friend's house last week and the primrose plants in her backyard are literally producing hundreds of flowers right now. It was so pretty and the good thing is that the primrose plants will continue to produce flowers for several weeks unlike some plants that just produce a few flowers and that's all until next year!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu May 22, 2014 9:16 am

I visited a friend in California City a few days ago and she had a bunch of these plants in her yard. She said that they were producing flowers like crazy a few weeks earlier, but even now they're still putting out a few. She said that they're tough plants and that they can take the heat.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:22 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:55 am

surfsteve wrote:http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-evening-primrose.html

By interfering with the production of inflammatory prostaglandins released during menstruation, the GLA in evening primrose oil can help to lessen menstrual cramps. It may also minimise premenstrual breast tenderness, irritable bowel flare-ups, and carbohydrate cravings, and help to control endometriosis-associated inflammation

Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera Biennis)
This is a different species of Oenothera than the one this thread is about. It's hard to say to what degree Oenothera speciosa shares properties with Oenothera biennis. The color of their flowers is different and their growth habit is also different, but regarding their biochemical properties I have no information.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 am

I stopped by a friend's house over the weekend and her Mexican evening primrose plants are spreading like wildfire. They looked pretty weak during the summer months, but apparently they like the weather we've been experiencing these last few weeks. Hopefully we get lots of rain over the next few months so we can look forward to an awesome spring bloom!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 am

Once the plants get extablished they do real well even out here in the desert providing that they get enough water and they are protected from the sun for a few hours a day. They can be like a weed in places where the weather is more moderate. They spread through underground runners and they can get out of control real fast and it can be hard to keep them from crowding out other plants.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:38 am

Does anyone know a trick to get Mexican Evening Prirose plants to bloom in the fall? Most of the plants in the yard belonging to a friend are pretty beat up from the summer heat, but could they be revived and coaxed into blooming around the end of October? Would some fertilizer and a little extra watering get them to produce some flowers?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 am

I saw a few flowers on a friend's Mexican evening primrose plants yesterday. Last year she had hundreds of flowers for over a month and things are just getting started this year. These plants are tenacious and they produce some great flowers. Things are off to a good start this spring!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Desert Gardening Tips