Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Toni TV - Wow No Cow
This video has 2.3 million views... proving that life is not fair once and for all!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 am

panamint_patty: Personally, I'm no fan of plant-based milk. I've tried a few and although they aren't terrible, they aren't as good as the real thing. Also they tend to be more expensive than the real thing. I'd rather drink powdered milk than any of the plant-based milks currently available!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:23 am

I Was Wrong About The Carnivore Diet: It's A Trap
by: Vegetable Police
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:12 pm

The Gladiator Diet How Vegetarian Athletes Stack Up
The Carnivore Diet is for pussies! The Gladiator Diet consisted mainly of barley and beans. In other words, they were for intents and purposes vegetarians.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 am

At 45 seconds in, highlighted in yellow the text reads

“Stable nitrogen isotopes in bone collagen reflect the intake of animal protein, especially meat and dairy products.”

How do you explain that? It seems like he was cherry picking. The very next article has a caption of "letters to the editor" which suggests that it was some kind of comment and not based on the research cited.

I do have to admit that when I was in my teens and 20's I spent 15 years on a vegetarian diet and was bicycling sometimes 500 miles a week. Maybe it's good for endurance athletes. When I came off vegetarian I used to say I felt better eating a little meat. As if it was providing something I was lacking as a vegetarian. I got a feeling that sprinters eat a lot more meat than long distance athletes. I think as more research is done we are going to find out that the more you cook food the less healthier it is. The exception to this is foods that are poisonous when raw, like legumes. I recall feeling great when I first converted to vegan but as time went on I felt worse and worse. Sort of like the way people feel when they start taking drugs.

I cringe at taking advise from Dr. Gregor because he looks old enough to be my father and is young enough to be my son. I'd much rather take advise from long term vegans like Viktoras Kulvinskas. He advocates eating raw. So maybe it's the cooking and processing that makes foods unhealthy and not so much whether they are animal or plant based. My mind is not totally made up and I'm always willing to listen to new ideas!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 pm

I see plenty of videos from vegans that converted to carnivore. I wonder if there are any in the reverse. Please post if you find anything...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:17 am

The stories of individuals are not all that persuasive. It's always possible to find someone who is an exception to the rule. I prefer well-designed studies and that's why I'm a fan of Dr. Gregor. I really don't think he cherry picks. I think he just presents the most convincing evidence and leaves out the rest in order to keep his videos brief and to the point.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:36 am

wildrose: I'm a big Dr. Gregor fan too and I agree with you one hundred and ten percent. He keeps the videos short and to the point and doesn't waste time on side issues. Like you said he doesn't cherry pick to prove his point, he just sticks to his argument without a lot of non-sense on the side to distract from the point he's making.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 am

You guys will love this video of Dr. Greger defending the accusations of cherry picking. Though it doesn't support my point of view at all.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:52 am

For entertainment purposes only, here is Vegetable Police commenting on Dr. Greger's comments about salt while he was still a vegan...

Is Salt Bad For You? Dr Greger Says Yes, Good Thing He's WRONG!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips