Road Closures and Conditions

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Road Closures

Postby cactuspete » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:41 am

I don't ever recall the roads being allowed to go unrepaired for this long. Talk about a dereliction of duty! I'd say that someone needs to be held accountable for this total failure to take care of business in a reasonable amount of time!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 pm

What I heard yesterday is that over the next six weeks the road through Panamint Valley will be repaired. I'm not sure about the road over Emigrant Pass or up Wildrose Canyon. My source is a local person who has lived here in Trona for many decades and who is highly regarded in the community. He said he talked to a person in charge of road repairs for Inyo County and the the work should commence in a couple weeks.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:13 am

It is my understanding that road closings are sponsored by agenda 21 and that they want to close as many roads as possible for whatever reasons they can come up with. Many of the road closures are unlawful.

http://ppjg.me/2012/04/07/agenda-21-california/
http://www.libertynewsonline.com/article_301_30857.php
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2855528/posts
http://www.democratsagainstunagenda21.c ... eting.html
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby jeepnut » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:53 am

It's good to hear that something MIGHT be getting done soon but I'll believe it when I see it! Hopefully they'll put some kind of drainage or diversion mechanism in that will help reduce damage caused by any future storms of that magnitude. Sooner or later it'll happen again!
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:40 am

How bad is the actual damage to the road? Does anyone have any photographs?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 am

A couple weeks ago I drove that section of the road and there's about a half mile that is in extremely bad shape. The pavement is badly buckled from where the dirt was washed right out from under it. Also the shoulders are missing along much of the damaged segment. Drop offs of about four feet straight off the edge of the pavement in some places. The road can be driven on, but it's really not safe.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:18 am

Any updates on what's being done about the road? It seems like the road closed signs have been up an awful long time. Some friends and I went through that way to Beatty last week and it didn't look to us like anything had been done or like anything was going to be done soon. Doesn't the state have an obligation to fix roads in a timely manner?
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 am

If they can keep the road closed long enough they can prove that we don't need it and it can be closed forever. Having been closed for so long on account of so little damage I think it's becoming a matter of IF, the roads will be reopened under the current agenda and not so much WHEN.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 am

surfsteve wrote:If they can keep the road closed long enough they can prove that we don't need it and it can be closed forever. Having been closed for so long on account of so little damage I think it's becoming a matter of IF, the roads will be reopened under the current agenda and not so much WHEN.

LOL
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:41 am

James Sel wrote:
surfsteve wrote:If they can keep the road closed long enough they can prove that we don't need it and it can be closed forever. Having been closed for so long on account of so little damage I think it's becoming a matter of IF, the roads will be reopened under the current agenda and not so much WHEN.

LOL

The answer to WHEN is NOW. It's happening. There is a new sign at the county line warning drivers that road construction/maintenance is underway. The project will most likely take many weeks as there are many miles of shoulder damage to deal with and then there's the pavement buckling, etc. But the good news is that road crews are working and the repairs have begun!
:talk:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature