Plastic Bag Ban

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Postby tronagirl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 pm

Proposition 67: Plastic Bag Ban
Here's a quick summary of prop 67. I'm voting NO!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 am

No doubt about the way I'm voting! I'm for freedom of choice all the way. I don't need no libtards limiting my freedoms. I'm voting NO on 67! I'm sick and tired of environazis dictating what we can't do. I like the convenience of plastic bags and I think any problems associated with them are grossly exaggerated and that's if there are any actual problems to begin with!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:19 am

mrfish: The plastic bag ban idea is just one of those ideas which addresses a non-problem. There is no plastic bag problem. There might be a general littering problem, but that's behavior and not a result of the bags. I'm voting against prop 67. I consider the convenience of disposable plastic bags a very positive thing and I believe that those in favor of a ban are just poorly informed idiots. Sorry, but that's how I feel.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:29 am

The plastic bag ban passed 52 to 48 percent. Amazingly almost every store was ready the next day with non-disposable bags and they were ready to charge for them. It seems to me that there should have been a grace period until at least January 1, 2017. To be ready the next day makes me thing that voting was rigged which wouldn't surprise me at all in the fascist state of California!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:07 am

Yeah. It does seem kind of rigged the way the stores were already ready as if they knew the outcome of the election. Especially since it only passed by a few points. It was quite a shock being asked to pay for bags at the check out counter. I was told that they are charging even for paper bags so I told them to use as few bags as possible but they just put everything in my cart. Perhaps they misunderstood me. I thought about voting against the plastic ban but I didn't want to be the one responsible in case it worked out; so I just left it blank. It's only been recently, the last year or two, since I started using the plastic bags for my trash and reusing them in that way has been working out quite well. Guess I'll have to go back to buying real trash bags as soon as I run out of them. I haven't given it much thought but I guess maybe I'm going to invest in some reusable heavy cloth bags for my groceries. It just doesn't seem sanitary to re use a plastic bag for food. Though I suppose the thought of meat stained canvas bags isn't much better. I've got a feeling that most people are going to pay for the heavy plastic bags and just throw them away every time; and that instead of saving on resources it is going to have the reverse effect. Wouldn't be surprised if next election the ban is overturned. Probably just about the time I get used to it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:12 am

I voted no on the bag ban. I'm not seeing how this was a legitimate issue to be voted on. This is more of a personal choice issue not a public choice issue. But if we are going to vote on matters such as this a two-thirds majority should be required to actually ban something. A simple two percent over half just doesn't cut it IMHO.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:22 am

Bags are such a hassle! It's not easy to get used to carrying bags into the stores. One day I remembered to put the bags in the car, but forgot to take them into the store and it wasn't until I got to the check out line that I remembered that I had forgot them. As a result I've purchased more reusable bags than I need and at a dime a bag that's not too big of a deal, but it sure is annoying.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:33 am

panamint_patty: I feel your pain! I forgot my bags in the car twice already. Each time I just told the person bagging the groceries to just throw the stuff back in the cart and I just bagged the stuff at the car. This whole plastic bag ban has turned into such a hassle and it was so incredibly pointless.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dilbert » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

I received some rather nice reusable bags as birthday gifts a couple months ago. Apparently I have a few friends who all happen to be treehugger-hipster-liberal types who all had the same idea at the same time and so I am now the proud owner of five high capacity reusable bags. I was already in the habit of using them before the vote went through and so there was no traumatic adjustment for me to make, but I still voted against the proposition as a matter of principle.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Maybe the term "High Capacity" is not the term you want to use. Some may think a High Capacity bag is evil and irresponsible.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature