Plastic Bag Ban

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Postby James Sel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:05 am

The bag bans are only intended to stay in place until we solve the litter problem.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Don't Blame The Bags

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:07 am

The important thing to remember is that plastic bags are environmentally friendly compared to paper bags and they're probably even a better use of resources than are non-disposable bags. It may be true that non-disposable bags can be used over and over, but by virtue of being non-disposable they require more materials to begin with and then they must be washed and eventually repaired or thrown away. The cost of a single non-disposable bag is likely to be equal to the cost of 200 disposable plastic bags. Subtract the cost saved due to recycling and its likely that plastic bags are a better use of resources. Also let us keep in mind that plactic bags are biodegradable. Litter is a behavioral problem. Litter doesn't cause itself. Get a little logic and don't blame the bags!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 am

deathvalleyjake: I'm with you on this one. I don't see why those of us who are responsible enough not to litter should be penalized because some people litter. Plastic bags are convenient and they were a great innovation and we should be allowed to continue to use them. We don't need liberal politicians running our lives for us!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:49 am

At one point it looked like a certainty that the bag would be banned, but so far we still have plastic bags at our disposal when we go shopping. It looks like sometimes the voice of the people is heard by those in power. Too bad we don't get our way more often, but at least on this issue it looks like we've won, at least temporarily anyways.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby JanuaryJones » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 am

CrustyOldFart: I'm still amazed that plastic bags were even ever an issue. As long as people dispose of them properly or recycle them they are not a problem at all. I think sometimes certain environmental idiots get a little carried away with things and can't keep things in proper perspective. I say keep the bags and ban the idiots!
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby James Sel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 pm

The problem is that people are not always being responsible and the paper industry want to sell more bags.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 am

Plastic bags are not protected under the Second Amendment. If the minority of the citizens cannot be responsible for their bags the bags must go to protect all.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 am

James Sel: Good point. The paper industry probably lost a lot of business as a result of plastic bags becoming available. They probably actually created a campaign to convince people that plastic bags were a problem. Properly conducted propaganda campaigns can convince the public of a lot of things.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:32 am

Doing the shopping a couple days ago I noticed that Walmart had some weird bags. They were thicker than the standard paper bags. I'm not sure what the advantages are, but I guess they're supposed to more environmentally friendly or maybe just less environmentally unfriendly.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 am

tronagirl: Yeah I noticed the bags too. It's hard to believe that they are actually an improvement over the plastic bags we've been using for years, but sometimes when it comes to PR and offshoot financial opportunities, any change is good.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature