Local Sites

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Dollar General Store

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:46 am

James Sel: Yeah, the market feature would be great. Usually I just drive over to RC a couple times a week, but having a store with a decent market might save me a trip every now and then and saving gas money might offset the increased price. The other thing the store might provide are some jobs. This town could certainly use a few more employment opportunities!
dingbat
Greenhorn

Re: Local Sites

Postby James Sel » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:05 pm

James Sel wrote:If it is a Dollar General hopefully it will be like the on in California City. Unlike the one in r/c and Inyokern some have the "Market" feature which would be great for Trona.
The Market includes fresh veggies, steaks, breads, dairy, plenty of frozen foods, and
...... BACON!!

As far of pricing goes meats and veggies are a little high. I think it is a store of convenience but not a primary choice for a weeks worth of food.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/home/index.jsp

Sorry I was wrong so much for guessing. It is a "Family Dollar" I don't really like then. No market in them.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 am

Anybody been out to either the Gold Bottom or the Argus Dunes lately? I heard something about closing both dune areas to ORV usage. Something about some endangered reptile or something. I may have my stories mixed up, but some environmental group filed some kind of court brief and the BLM either has or will be closing both dune areas according to what I heard.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 am

CrustyOldFart: I haven't been out to either of the dune areas in the valley for a while, but my understanding is that all ORV usage in the valley is restricted to designated roads, which would make riding around at either dune area entirely illegal. However, the BLM isn't likely to put much effort into enforcing restrictions and locals are famous for ignoring such restrictions and so although the dune areas have been legally closed for years, for all intents and purposes they are still open as they've ever been.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:30 am

Lecture on The History of Trona and Searles Valley
Lecture given at the Maturango Museum on Wednesday, December 9th by James Fairchild and Russell Kaldenberg. Lots of local history. Most will find the material presented to be familiar, but there might be a few historical tidbits that are of interest.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:21 am

wildrose: Nice post! I'm going to try to watch that lecture when I have an hour to spare. Like you say most of us who post here are pretty familiar with the history of Trona and the surrounding territory, but there's always some new detail worth knowing and we'll be able to spot any mistakes these guys make if they happen to get something wrong!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:51 am

Maturango Lecture: That was a pretty good talk. Most of the information is the kind of thing that most people who live in the area already know, but it was a good presentation and there was enough information that was new to make it worth the time to watch. The one slightly negative thing I'll say is that Fairchild emits an annoying little giggle when he makes a remark that he thinks is funny. For instance, he says something about needing 4wd when going out to Gold Bottom and makes it sound like it's a really rough road out to the site. Not once has anyone I've been with had to put their vehicle into 4wd on the way up to Gold Bottom (unless you're talking the dunes, which he wasn't). So, I guess he has a tendency to exaggerate a bit, but many presenters do when they think they need to engage the audience more fully.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:52 am

Maturango Lecture: I would have liked to have heard more from Kaldenberg. Although Fairchild was interesting, his presentation was a bit rough and his depth of knowledge seemed lacking. Kaldenberg's background would most likely give him greater insights into the history of the area and the ability to speak with more authority on the subject. The bottom line is that this was a presentation designed to sell books by whetting the appetites of those interested in this history of Searles Valley and the book sounds like it contains lots of great images and some basic history of the area. The historic images are what make the book worth purchasing and so the two gentlemen deserve some credit for compiling the images into a single book.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:04 am

Maturango Lecture: I watched the whole thing and I've seen the book. Both are pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but good solid historical background of Searles Valley and a lot of really good old pics. Think of the book as a high school yearbook type of thing only about the history of the area. Lots of great pics and not too many words, but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:09 am

Trona Golf Club :dizzy:
The illustrious Trona Golf Course. Green fees are five bucks!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local History