Local Sites

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Local Sites

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 am

Local Sites Worth Checking Out
Please post information (or questions) about local sites here. I'll kick things off with information about an earthen tank on the east side of the highway less than a half mile north of Trona Airport Road that's about fifty feet from the pavement. It's a big concrete tank that was used to irrigate a small vegetable patch at one time. Somewhere on the concrete tank the date May 20, 1914 is supposed to be etched.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: Local Sites

Postby tronagirl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Christmas Tree Spring
There are two interesting landmarks in Wilson Canyon. One is an old building some people call "The Jail" that's just around the bend about a mile from the Pioneer Point corrals and the other is Christmas Tree Spring. I've heard that Christmas Tree Spring is also sometimes called Providence Spring. There's a dirt road up Wilson Canyon that goes up to about the military base boundary. It's too rough for regular cars, but quads and motorcycles are on it all the time. It's also good for walking if you feel like hoofing the three plus miles from the corrals to the springs.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:52 am

Ophir Mine
This mine is an interesting site to explore. It's located along the base of the Slate Range out behind Valley Wells. The dirt road gets a little rough over the last mile or so, but most reasonably rugged vehicles should be able to get there.
Thumbnail Image
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:19 am

Great Falls has always been my favorite local place to visit. It's fun to climb around the rocks. I've been pretty far up into the rocks a couples times, but most of the time I just like to hang out at the two bottom pools.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 am

DEATH VALLEY BACKROADS/ EMMETT'S CABIN :4x4:
Located in a side canyon near Stripped Butte, this is a fairly interesting site.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 am

Some people claim that the bus at the site is Manson's old bus, but others claim that Manson's old bus was cut into small pieces and buried. Seems like a lot of trouble to cut a bus up and to bury it.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:32 am

cactuspete wrote:Some people claim that the bus at the site is Manson's old bus, but others claim that Manson's old bus was cut into small pieces and buried. Seems like a lot of trouble to cut a bus up and to bury it.

One thing you should do is count the windows on this bus at Emmett's Cabin and compare it to the number of windows on Charlies bus.

The Park's picture one can see that the back ground is clearly at Baker's Ranch.
Click on url to see full pic
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=703034579763056&set=a.420261261373724.96305.100001695609297&type=1&theater

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:33 am

James Sel: Yep, the bus at Barker's was definitely longer. It still seems that cutting up the bus and burying it was an awful lot of work and hardly served any actual purpose. I've heard that there was some fear that the bus would attract curious people to the area, but lots of people still take the trip up to Barker Ranch even now that the cabin is burnt down.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:06 am

There is a PowerWagon that many people claim was Charlies too. Not true just a Power Wagon. Any found in Goler Wash is subject too be identified a Used by the Manson gang.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:27 am

I hear that Manson and his followers spent a fair amount of time in Surprise Canyon too. I wonder how many things they used up there and who knows what they used those things for! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local History