Petroglyphs and Pictographs

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Petroglyphs

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:34 am

cactuspete: I've been to the petroglyphs you're referring to. They're just a mile or two up from the Russian Cabin. You can get to them pretty quickly from Bruce Canyon too. Of course, the BLM went and closed a road in Bruce Canyon, but that only adds a half mile to each end of the hike.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am

BallaratBob: The BLM may have closed the road, but they didn't block the road. It's still quite driveable. The sign has been missing and then replaced a couple times on trips I've made over the last couple years. I can't figure out why they closed that road. The end of the road is a campsite that's been used just about forever.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby recluse » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:04 am

Mammoth doctor pleads guilty to federal charges
Seems to me if this individual had not documented each item that it would have been difficult to prosecute him. Don't get me wrong, what he did was wrong, but if he hadn't provided information about locations and other details, it would have been possible for him to plausibly deny that he had actually broken any laws since he could have acquired the artifacts in a legal manner such as by collecting them on private lands, for instance.
On September 17, 2015, a federal grand jury returned an indictment against Bourne, charging him with violations of the Archeological Resources Protection Act. Bourne had been collecting artifacts and archeological resources since 1994. He documented each item and has voluntarily turned over to the government an estimated 20,000 archeological items that he had collected from public lands. Bourne has agreed to pay $249,372 in restitution to the United States.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/mammoth-doctor-pleads-guilty-federal-charges/
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 am

recluse: The guy made two costly mistakes. First he was out of control. He collected such a huge number of items that it would be virtually impossible for someone not to eventually notice. Second, as you said, he documented his crimes. On top of that he probably shared all this with a number of friends and acquaintances. Sooner or later he was bound to get caught. Hopefully the items will be included in museum displays and hopefully everybody who hears about the story will learn the lesson that it's against the law to collect historic items from public lands.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 am

mrfish wrote:BallaratBob: The BLM may have closed the road, but they didn't block the road. It's still quite driveable. The sign has been missing and then replaced a couple times on trips I've made over the last couple years. I can't figure out why they closed that road. The end of the road is a campsite that's been used just about forever.

The last time I was up there it appeared that the BLM did erect a single barrier, but it wasn't anything that couldn't easily be driven around. Why they decided to close that road is beyond me. That road has been available for decades and so it seems quite arbitrary to close it. They should have just left it open out of respect to those who use the area. That's not asking much as far as I'm concerned.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:21 am

desertrat: What I heard is that the BLM closed that road to make it a little harder to get to the first spring in Bruce Canyon. The road actually stops about three-quarters of a mile from the first spring and by blocking it back at the intersection about another two-thirds of a mile is added to the hike. Also several artifacts have disappeared from the canyon in recent years. The longer the hike the less damage done by humans. As they say, leave only footprints and take only memories. If everybody lived by that motto all the restrictions which exist would not be necessary.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:54 am

2017 Ridgecrest Petroglyph Festival
This isn't until November, but it might provide an opportunity to see the petroglyphs located on the military base.
LINK: http://www.rpfestival.com/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:24 am

Owens Peak Trail Pictographs (Indian Wells Canyon, CA)
West of Ridgecrest there are places worth exploring!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Petroglyphs and Pictographs

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am

sandman: Indeed! Lots of interesting sites all around this area. So much to do, but so much of it entails some pretty strenuous hiking and I'm getting a little old for that kind of thing. I admit that I've never been one for long, hard hikes, but I have gotten out and explored some although now advancing age places severe restrictions on where I can reasonably get to.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Petroglyphs and Pictographs

Postby recluse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Preserving the past with Petroglyphs
Info about the museum and the Coso petroglyphs.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local History