Using Gadgets While Driving

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Using Gadgets While Driving

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 am

Hands-free Texting Still Distracting for Drivers
They say that sending a verbal text or hands free Facebook posting is still distracting, but I wonder if it's any more distracting than talking to a passenger. I'm sure it's no where near as bad as having kids in the car!
:pac:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Using Gadgets While Driving

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:06 am

GPS while driving ban
You can't even use hands free GPS apps! The ticket for the first time is $157! The idea is to reduce distraction while driving, but I've seen people flipping through maps while driving or eating while driving. What is so magically distracting about using a gadget, especially if it's hands free and voice controlled?
:shrug:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 am

New Wearable Computer Also Sicks Your Duck
I dare anyone to use this nifty gadget while driving! Talk about sensory overload!!!
:dizzy:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 am

I was nearly run off the road by a woman talking on her cell phone yesterday. People have got to learn to pull over when they need to use the cell phone. That's why there's laws against using cell phones while driving. Even eating or fiddling with the radio can be enough distraction to cause someone to make a driving error that could result in a crash!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 pm

I heard years before cellphones came out that they were trying to ban eating and drinking soda while driving. I use a bluetooth headset while driving. Don't have to touch the phone while driving but am concerned because the only one I can actually hear people talk on covers both ears. As far as I know. There are only a few municipal laws governing them. I also have a blue tooth speaker that clips on my visor but I can hardly hear it. Need one that works over the cars speakers. Seems like some sort of bluetooth to FM transmitter would work but I would still need a separate mic in order for people to hear me.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 pm

surfsteve wrote:I heard years before cellphones came out that they were trying to ban eating and drinking soda while driving. I use a bluetooth headset while driving. Don't have to touch the phone while driving but am concerned because the only one I can actually hear people talk on covers both ears. As far as I know. There are only a few municipal laws governing them. I also have a blue tooth speaker that clips on my visor but I can hardly hear it. Need one that works over the cars speakers. Seems like some sort of bluetooth to FM transmitter would work but I would still need a separate mic in order for people to hear me.

It is my understanding that many states prohibit eating while driving. In cali we don't but be careful if your corn-dog causes you to wreck you might get a ticket for distracted driving.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Thu May 22, 2014 7:50 am

James Sel: I never heard of a state that prohibited eating while driving. I'll have to see if I can find a list of states with rules like that. It would be good to know just in case I wind up driving in one of those states!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sierra_jim » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Eating While Driving & The Top 10 Most Dangerous Foods :diablo:
I admit that I eat and drink while I drive and that although I haven't had any close calls as of yet, I don't normally eat while driving in congested situations. Having made this confession, I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't sip on water or some other beverage while driving.
Eating while driving is the worst form of distracted driving for a driver! Yet a study of 1,000 drivers done by ExxonMobil found that over 70% of drivers admit to eating while behind the wheel and 83% drink beverages while they drive.

BTW, you might be surprised by some of the foods that made the list and that's in part due to the fact that only a crazy person would even consider eating them while driving!
ARTICLE: http://www.drive-safely.net/eating-while-driving.html
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Return to Technology and Gadgets