Remote Control Toys

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Remote Control Toys

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

This video is called quadcopter fishing. Seems like a 39 dollar Syma X1 could be rigged up to do the same thing. If you're into that kinda thing...

The first time I flew an RC helicopter outside my cat grabbed it and drug it away. He actually clawed or chewed a wire off of it and I had to solder it back on using a paper clip as a soldering iron by heating it up on the stove. Fortunately that was the only time he ever messed with it.

I think my next helicopter is going to be a V949 because it has lights on it and can be flown at night. If you get any reports of UFO's in the future maybe that's what they will actually be seeing. Though there's no telling, living this close to the base. I found a WL Toys V949 on Ebay pretty cheap. Just a few dollars more than the X1's from Amazon.com. In addition to lights some of the gears are made out of metal. Perhaps it is made better than the X1 and will be worth the extra few dollars.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Remote Control Toys

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:39 pm

I was thinking if you had enough blades all hooked together maybe they could be used to lift a human. Sure enough somebody already tried it.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 am

I flew my v949 yesterday for the first time. I even flew it at night. It looked like a flying police car! It is much more solid and heavier than the Syma X-1 and worth the extra few dollars. The high performance after market batteries work perfectly in it. The propellers don't seem very well made because I already cracked one and I've never cracked a Syma blade but it came with 2 extra sets. I also read that there is a high performance blade available. The stock color was kind of expensive but I found them in primer gray on ebay really cheap and I ordered a set. I may paint them with florescent orange and green plastic paint to make it more visible in the day time. That would help a lot because I tend to loose control of the helicopter often because it gets out of sight long before it gets out of radio frequency range, so brighter colors would help a lot. It was a lot of fun flying it at night but I crashed a lot more than daytime flying. I got a feeling that I would have already broke something even more serious than a blade had I been flying the syma x1, under the same conditions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281173499717
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Been doing some research and the QR ladybird is the best quad for the money in my opinion. I just got through ordering one from Amazon for under 60 dollars. It comes with a high end transmitter and is made by Walkera toys. Most of their stuff is built for the high end RC market and the company is known for quality. This is a micro-quad, much smaller and tougher than the mini quadcopters I am used to. The stock battery has the same rating as most mini-copters and the motors are also huge giving it much more power. I've read that some people tape weights on them at first to make them more sluggish and easier to learn how to fly. Be careful doing that because the extra weight will make it want to do more damage when it crashes.

This is not a toy, well technically it is. I just wanted to point out that the blades are capable of taking someone's eye out.
I don't recommend trying this at home. Watch this video showing what a stock QR ladybird is capable of and don't blame me if you get hooked on them:
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:46 pm

I also came across Lama helicopters which are probably the best 3 channel helicopters for the money. Haven't done all my homework on this one but it seems to be the one to buy if I ever get another 3 channel helicopter. I don't like flying 3 channels because the controls are reversed from 4 channel copters and I get confused going back and forth between them.

This video was the one that inspired me to look into Lamas more. This guy swears by Lams 2's but I got a feeling the 3's and 4's are as good or better:

See what I mean? The copter in this video is a Lama V3

Pretty inspiring. Now I'm going to have see about getting one of those. BTW 3 channel helicopters are the easiest to fly.

They have V6's on Ebay right now on clearance. This is probably the best 3 channel helicopter available for the money at the moment http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Microgear-R ... 1e79a73e6b

Just wanted to update that Lama's are actually 4 channel helicopters. They are only styled like most 3 channel ones. I'm not sure how many people still call them 3 channel. Perhaps 3 channel style would be a better term or maybe counter rotational shaft helicopters. I also remembered the ladybird is actually a 6 channel quadcopter but read that the controls are set up the same as all 4 channel and above helis.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:59 am

surfsteve wrote:Been doing some research and the QR ladybird is the best quad for the money in my opinion. I just got through ordering one from Amazon for under 60 dollars. It comes with a high end transmitter and is made by Walkera toys. Most of their stuff is built for the high end RC market and the company is known for quality. This is a micro-quad, much smaller and tougher than the mini quadcopters I am used to. The stock battery has the same rating as most mini-copters and the motors are also huge giving it much more power. I've read that some people tape weights on them at first to make them more sluggish and easier to learn how to fly. Be careful doing that because the extra weight will make it want to do more damage when it crashes.

This is not a toy, well technically it is. I just wanted to point out that the blades are capable of taking someone's eye out.
I don't recommend trying this at home. Watch this video showing what a stock QR ladybird is capable of and don't blame me if you get hooked on them:

I was wrong. Hubsan is pretty new on the market. They are cheaper and more durable than the ladybird. Even though the Hubsan is smaller because it has shorter arms but both contain the same motors, 6 axis gyro and the propellers are interchangeable though different colors. The Hubsan body is a little less destructible. Especially with a few modifications.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Return to Technology and Gadgets