Gadgets and Gizmos

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Gadgets and Gizmos

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Staples Connect gets us closer to a unified smart home :upset:
Neat gadget that allows your home appliances to talk to each other. Could be trouble though. What if they get together and conspire to take over the house?
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:12 am

Simple smart home upgrades :smart:
A bunch of ideas for how to turn your home into a geek's paradise! Most of these ideas are not terribly useful, but a couple might be kind of fun.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: Geek Paradise

Postby BallaratBob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:13 am

Geek Paradise: Most of those home upgrades would be a complete waste of money. There's a few things I wouldn't mind having, but most of those items would be more bother than they're worth. Some people just gotta get the latest and greatest, but I'm happy with the tried and true!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: Geek Paradise

Postby cactuspete » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 am

Geek Paradise: There are a few technological upgrades I'd like in my house, but most of the one's in the video I could live without. I'll have to look into what is feasible given my financial resources. I'll live without the latest and greatest before I'll give up anything on my gotta have list!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 am

Android Wear's amazing smartwatch ancestors
Smartwatches might be useful, but the screen on my smartphone is already smaller than I can tolerate and so I don't know how I'm supposed to adjust to an even smallerscreen!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am

How Patents Are Stopping Your Microwave From Being Awesome
Patents should not be given for OBVIOUS ideas. To be eligible for a patent an idea should take technical skill well beyond that of an average person. It should involve meaningful extension beyond other technologies and not just trivial extensions that anyone can recognize as useful.
We've seen this many times before, how patents can hold back very useful developments. Notice how 3D printing is suddenly a big thing? It's not because of any new miraculous breakthroughs, but because some key patents finally started expiring, allowing real innovation to move forward.

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140120/17420425936/how-patents-are-stopping-your-microwave-being-awesome.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 am

PCs aren't dead! Intel is soaring
Tablets and iPads may be cute, but they are no replacement for actual computers.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby sandman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:13 am

Make It Wearable Finalists | Meet Team Nixie
Might be a neat gadget, but it would be very unstable in even the lightest wind. In regards to the mountain climber, I see the quadcopter wristband as a potential distraction that might result in a headline regarding a fatal accident. A selfie taken via quadcopter might not be advisable in all situations!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 pm

I ordered one of these really cheap on ebay after breaking 2 droid x2's in less than 3 months. I just came across this video. I knew this phone was durable but I had no idea!

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:51 am

Here is a video about phone apps and malware. I had problems after installing that other flashlight, just like that guy mentioned in the video and wound up deleting it and installing Tiny flashlight, just because it worked better. Who knew?

Also My Gz One phone like in the video above, came a few weeks ago and the software on it is kind of old and the phone is a little slow. It took a whole lot of messing with to get it to work like my old phone and some getting used to. It didn't come with talk texting and I had to download the GO Keyboard app and a few others apps to bring it up to speed. It's a good phone now but I bet that keyboard app I downloaded is just as full of malware as the old flashlight program I got rid of...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets