Restore The Fourth

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Restore The Fourth

Postby a2z » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 pm

US, UK spied on people who visited WikiLeaks
The more info that is revealed about the NSA, the worse it sounds. The only reasonable solution is to abolish the NSA and start from the ground up and build in safeguards against the kind of abuses perpetrated by this rouge agency.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 am

More Snowden Leaks: How The Government Reacted To Wikileaks
Wonderful to know how well the governmental agencies of English speaking countries work so well together to violate the rights of their citizens. It's like The Brave New World and 1984 combined only potentially worse. All they have to do is declare you as "malicious" and they don't even need a warrant to track everything you do. It's way to easy to get a warrant as it is. In fact, it's like a rubber stamp process, but now they don't even need to do that!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Snowden Will Speak To SXSW Crowds From Russia
Freedom of speech brought to you by Russia! Can't get it in the so-called land of the free anymore! Thank goodness Russia is around to save us from ourselves!
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

National Security Letters

Postby mrgreen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm

EFF Sues Over National Security Letters... But Can't Tell You Who Its Clients Are
There should be no such thing as National Security Letters in a free nation. Even gag orders should be issued only under extreme situations. The problem is that this country really doesn't value freedom, liberty, and justice. Instead we value convenience, economic prosperity and security. Which results in continuously diminishing freedoms.

Good article, but this comment is awesome:
Wait a moment while I try to twist my thought processes into an approximation of a paranoid government spook.......

The reason to keep the organization that receives a National Security Letter secret is that if the "target" uses that company and found out that they had just received a NSL then they would;

1. Know we were tracking them
2. Stop using that company
3. Stop using that method of communication, bank account, brand of toothpaste

[O.K. maybe not that last one.... maybe.]

Normally we [the government] would only keep this information classified ['gagged'] until we brought the perpetrator to justice [filed a case in a court of law]. New terrorist threat models [government speak for ignoring the constitution] require us to continually collect intelligence on existing and emerging threats [ a.k.a. people we know are bad, people we think might be bad someday, and people we just don't like, heck everyone just to be safe]. Contrary to terrorist apologists [a.k.a. people who care about the constitution] these National Security Letter recipient non disclosure [gag] orders are not permanent, nor unending. Recipients are free to discuss them, once the terrorist threats to the country have been eliminated [so that would be just like the legal term for copyright limits, forever minus one day].

See, that wasn't do hard to understand was it....[I think I need a mental shower now]?

LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140303/11470826408/eff-sues-over-national-security-letters-cant-tell-you-who-its-clients-are.shtml
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 pm

EFF Fights National Security Letter Demands on Behalf of Telecom, Internet Company
More from the EFF itself on this story...
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed two briefs on Friday challenging secret government demands for information known as National Security Letters (NSLs) with the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The briefs—one filed on behalf of a telecom company and another for an Internet company—remain under seal because the government continues to insist that even identifying the companies involved might endanger national security.

LINK: https://www.eff.org/press/releases/eff-fights-national-security-letter-demands-behalf-telecom-internet-company
More info on National Security Letters here:
https://www.eff.org/issues/national-security-letters/faq
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:19 am

National Security Letters: Our country is run by fascists and this national security bullshit is something out of the Nazi Gestapo days! It's hard to believe that we've turned into a totalitarian regime. This is some absurdly unacceptable that it hardly seems possible. Although I first heard about these letters years ago, I still have a hard time believing that they're possible in this country.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:41 am

What Exactly Were The NSA Leaks All About?
Nice summary of NSA programs which invade your privacy and which overstep the law.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:46 am

Utah looks to shut down NSA spying center
It's good to see this type of local action to discourage domestic spying!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:31 am

pcslim: Utah pleasantly surprises me from time to time. I always think of them as a bunch of conformists, but I like the way they are standing up to the NSA spying on citizens. My guess is that they imagine scenarios where an overly powerful government is able to suppress religious freedoms when they decide that there is something about the Mormon Church which somehow threatens national security (aka: corporate profits). Perhaps the fact that they frown on the consumption of coffee might be seen as subversive to the good of the almighty corporate state.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby a2z » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Wikipedia Sues NSA For Spying Program
WikiPedia standing up for our online rights! :thumb2:
This is a pretty good discussion of why it's important to protect the 1st and 4th amendments.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets