The Science of Aging

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Science of Aging

Postby mrfish » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:43 am

sandman: Like you say it could be another snake oil scam, but snake oil tends to do well! I heard that during the recent recession one of the product categories that suffered no loss in sales revenue was anti-aging treatments and supplements. A lot of people want to live longer and they will gladly pay for anything that seems to have a plausible chance of giving them a few extra years on this godforsaken hellhole of a planet that we call home. LOL
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 am

Want to live forever? Ask 'The Immortalists' how!
This is a quick interview with the guy who made a movie called "The Immortalists". In the movie he profiles a couple people who are into the anti-aging movement, namely Bill Andrews and Aubrey de Grey.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:47 pm

shadylady wrote:Want to live forever? Ask 'The Immortalists' how!
This is a quick interview with the guy who made a movie called "The Immortalists". In the movie he profiles a couple people who are into the anti-aging movement, namely Bill Andrews and Aubrey de Grey.

The telomerase telomere theory is very controversial. While the theory of shortening telomeres with aging is true with some types of cells in the human body not all types of body cells have telomeres. Telomerase is also present in cancer cells in very high amounts. At the same time one group of people are trying to lengthen telomeres to prevent aging; another group are trying to fight cancer by inhibiting their growth. To risky, to experimental and too expensive to peak my interests. How do I know that by keeping my telomeres long in my good cells that I'm not contributing to keeping any cancer cells that might inadvertently be present from dying?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:10 am

surfsteve wrote:The telomerase telomere theory is very controversial. While the theory of shortening telomeres with aging is true with some types of cells in the human body not all types of body cells have telomeres. Telomerase is also present in cancer cells in very high amounts. At the same time one group of people are trying to lengthen telomeres to prevent aging; another group are trying to fight cancer by inhibiting their growth. To risky, to experimental and too expensive to peak my interests. How do I know that by keeping my telomeres long in my good cells that I'm not contributing to keeping any cancer cells that might inadvertently be present from dying?

I've heard people make that argument, but it seems that there is more evidence that suggests exactly the opposite. At any rate I did come across this quote in an article I read which supports the idea that increasing telomere length reduces the risk of cancer:
According to new research published in the American Journal of Public Health, people who drink more soda have shorter telomeres (bits of DNA that protect the ends of chromosomes in cells) in white blood cells. The affected telomeres have been associated with age-associated diseases including cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

BTW, the article could also be posted to the Death By Soda thread, but I'll put it here since I'm highlighting an excerpt focusing on telomeres.
LINK: http://www.salon.com/2014/10/20/daily_soda_consumption_seriously_messes_up_your_dna/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:17 pm

I got a sneaking suspicion they are going to find out that what is good for the telomeres in healthy cells is not necessarily good for the ones in cancer cells. Either way there seems to be an unexplainable paradox to the science and it doesn't explain anymore to me than does gray and thinning hair on ones head. Which at least I can see without investing a fortune in testing.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Secret to living longer could lie in whale gene
Highly intelligent interview. Good questions and great answers. I'd like to see more high quality interviews like this!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat May 09, 2015 7:36 am

Can This DNA Hack Help You Stay Young Forever?
Possible Hacks:
1) alter WRN gene expression
2) telomere lengthening
3) oxidative stress
4) glycation
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 am

Can Technology Stop Aging?
All sorts of possible anti-aging solutions are mentioned in this quick video. Also mentioned is Google Calico (California Life Company) which was founded by Google along with the chairman of Apple Inc.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets