Dell Venue 8" Pro Tablet turned into a full desktop

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Dell Venue 8" Pro Tablet turned into a full desktop

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 am

How do you like the size? It seems perfect for a woman's purse but just a bit too big to be carrying around in one's pocket. I have everything ordered except the 24/7 charger adapter, which still isn't on the market yet. I would rather save my money and make one, than give it to them and wait till it comes out.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Wed May 14, 2014 10:54 am

The larger screen on the eleven inch model is probably better if you need to edit video or work with documents. The eight inch model would be easier to travel with. I've shown the tablet to a number of co-workers and some have said that they'd prefer the smaller model and others prefer the larger model. It's a matter of personal preference and what one wants in a work environment might be different from what one might prefer if on the road.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 pm

I wish they made a 6". I bought the smaller 8" model. I've already got a notebook so it would almost be silly to get a large tablet. If anything I want it to be smaller than it is so I can have mobile desktop computing that will fit in my pocket and let me dock up to a TV or another computer whenever I am near one. I might just keep an extra keyboard and mouse in my car, just for that purpose. Most places I go have a TV or a monitor that will work for me.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 20, 2014 7:29 am

My Dell Venue came a few days ago. The Venue starter kit came first. It makes a night and day difference without it. I haven't tried out the bluetooth yet. I wonder if there are bluetooth keyboards and mouse available. That would be totally cool!

You guys are right about the processor speed being slow as compared to a laptop. Though my laptop is quadcore I'd say this functions more like a slower single core notebook. Programs take a long time to load and even longer to install. Readplease free runs flawlessly but the paid version of the program wont function. I downloaded and installed open office and firefox and they both work just fine. It's a pretty decent machine. At first I hated it but it ran a whole lot better with the wireless mouse and keyboard. I kept hitting wrong buttons with my fingers and mostly blaming it on the machine. Input is also blazingly fast with the mouse and keyboard.

Accessories for it are really cheap. I ordered a leather case that also functions as a stand for five dollars. They had them at one cent promotionals at one time. I think it would be cool to velcro the case to the mouse and keyboard and all the accessories and drives so that they all stick together for traveling and be ripped apart for use or when I just want to take a few pieces or just the tablet by it's self somewhere.

I can't wait till my video adapter arrives. I think it will function really nice as a media player on my large monitor with the wireless mouse functioning as the remote along with the keyboard for more complicated tasks like Youtube.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets