First Amendment Rights

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

First Amendment Rights

Postby surfsteve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm

I was reading this article about how facebook is taking away our right to free speech while at the same time sharing virtually every personal detail. Apparently ex employees even say they are directly patched into the government. It claims the government granted facebook a lot of money but what really set me off was one little comment
Facebook is not the venue to attack your opponents, it’s for sharing pictures of cats, and by far the largest user demo are 16 year old girls.
Yeah buddy. And the second amendment is just for hunting and target practice...

If Facebook is a private company maybe they have the right to censor out what ever they want. But I read they got government grants. So where do they really stand? How different and how far down the road is that really from a private telephone company censoring who is allowed to call you or cutting off peoples service because they don't like what they are saying? It's quite a stretch but things seem to be heading in that direction. There was a time when I would have laughed at the idea but now it would hardly even surprise me. Where are we heading? How many rounds are we allowed in each clip of free speech?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: First Amendment Rights

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 am

I don't buy this private company garbage! It's discrimination to not allow people to speak their minds. Unless there's a clear policy that specifically lists the kinds of things you can't say on the website, then anything goes!
:curse:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 am

Rick Perry demands apology over cartoon
What a whiner! Perry misinterprets the cartoon and calls it disrespectful. What I find disrespectful is that stupid people are allowed to become famous politicians. It's an insult to my intelligence. I know that politics has more to do with personality and popularity than with substance and intellect, but there are limits to the amount of stupidity that can be tolerated!!!
:smack:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Tue May 13, 2014 9:17 am

CrustyOldFart: I agree and then some. My feeling is that companies when they reach a certain size should be treated like public utilities. What I'm thinking is that although they still remain private companies, more rules apply to them. For instance, they would not be allowed to disciminate or deprive anyone of free speech rights. Thus they would not be able to censor in an arbitrary manner. This would actually be good for them since they could not be blamed for what gets posted on their sites and thus their image would not be harmed.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed May 14, 2014 6:09 am

I agree. Corporations should not have the same rights as people (are supposed to have). Maybe I need to incorporate so I can pay myself so little I have to go on welfare and learn how to give myself lavish bonuses with all the money I saved...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Return to Recreation and Entertainment